carguy614

Well Known Member
Considering options for my current 9 project, and the goal is to explore the possibilities of a forward facing sump and Ellison TB installation. The idea is to use a smooth bottom cowl. Thought I would ping the group to see if anyone else had considered or installed it this way.

Thanks,
Chris

I've been flying an Ellison since '03 on my -4, mounted horizontally (O-320-D1A, 160 HP). The Ellison literature clearly states that the TBI can be mounted in any orientation. I have had very good service from mine and recommend it based on my experience.
Hope this helps some.

Glenn Wilkinson

Ellison in Horz sump

DO NOT put your ELLISON on a Horz mounted sump. The biggest reason it that the sump was never meant to have fuel metered into it. If you have fuel in your sump and it backfires: BOOOOM. There goes your sump/engine.
I originally had one mounted on my engine until I found out the same information. There is too much area in the plenum to be filled with atomized gas. Also, they told me the air fuel mixture would not draw evenly across the sump because the front cyls would suck the mixture in first leaving little to be had for the back cyls. I never had the engine over 2000 rpm on ground tests before I changed to fuel injection. Sure ran nice though.

What about the lycomings have have the sidedraft carb? Namely the C172RG and the AA5B engine (O-360-A1G? or A1K?)

I had great success with an Ellison on an IO-360 A1B6 with a fwd facing sump.
The engine starts and runs great. Sold the airplane but its still flying.
Just my .02
Mike