bjustus

Well Known Member
My RV-4 carb heat works back off partly due to ram air pressure against the door. My first -4 did the same thing. Has anyone used a vernier control for carb heat to stop this, or any other ideas?

Thanks,

- Brett

dan said:
Van's sells a relatively cheap control knob/cable that is "detented" if you will. Is that the one you're using already?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...622486-136-117&browse=controls&product=bowden

Just thinking about light & simple solutions, alternatives to heavier & more expen$ive parts.

What I have has little rings that you can hear rubbing as it is pulled in and out but just not enough friction to override the airflow against the air door.

Is that what this one does or is there one specific detent point that you set or engage somehow?

Definitely appreciate the help including the time you and Pete took to look up the links and post your suggested solutions!

I've always heard that carb heat should either full on or full off. Maybe we should talk about reasons to use only partial carb heat?

Karl

Great info

I don't often use carb heat so I was wondering why the knob went in. I never considered air pressure.

RV8N said:
I've always heard that carb heat should either full on or full off. Maybe we should talk about reasons to use only partial carb heat?

Karl

LOP Configurations can require partial carb heat.

LifeofReiley said:
LOP Configurations can require partial carb heat.

OK... I guess my next question now is: Are you comfortable running LOP on a carburated engine?

I have a factory Bendix fuel injection (IO-360A1A) and my injectors need to be matched before I would even consider LOP.

Karl

O-320 with carb heat

Hi Karl,

My carb O-320 runs well LOP with carb heat. I run it LOP wide open at 7500ft or better and can run it LOP smoothly at a few other MP/RPM settings. Plugs are clean, temps are cool, oil analysis looks good, and it saves gas.

The button lock carb heat keeps carb heat door closed in cruise.

I might just have an oddball engine, but it works.

RV8N said:
OK... I guess my next question now is: Are you comfortable running LOP on a carburated engine?

I have a factory Bendix fuel injection (IO-360A1A) and my injectors need to be matched before I would even consider LOP.

Karl

Yep... No problem on this end running LOP carbed.