I have it, works fine. But I cannot say it is any better than an impulse mag, as the stock IO540 from Vans comes with no impulse mag- Slick start is pretty much de facto.

I have a G3i EI, which has the same features as the Slickstart built into it. Even with the EI turned off, it will still emulate a Slickstart during the start process.

The Slick Start system is a solid state unit that replaced the "shower of sparks" vibrators of the past. The current IO-360 and IO-390 offerings from Lycoming come with this as standard equipment.

I have no data regarding if it works any better than impulse mags. I have flown a couple of planes with this system, but have not retrofitted any aircraft that were originally outfitted with impulse mags.

slickstart

Yep, had it on my RV-10. Just removed it last week to install the G3i ignition.

It works great! Hot starts are not an issue once you figure out how not to flood the engine... :)

I have 60 hours on mine, make me an offer if you want it.

Lenny

I have it, works fine. But I cannot say it is any better than an impulse mag, as the stock IO540 from Vans comes with no impulse mag- Slick start is pretty much de facto.

Bob's right. I personally prefer dual impulse coupled mags. I've never seen an RV-10 start as well as one with dual impulse couplings, but I don't have a lot of experience with EI's. The Slick Start does help a lot, though.

Slick Start

I had an IO-520 for several years with a retard mag and vibrator. I changed to a slick start module after a few years. Didn't make a bit of difference. Started exactly the same. I didn't alter my hot start technique and it took the exact same number of blades to start. Your mileage may vary.

I have 1350 hours on a slick start with an IO 360. Never a starting issue. Can not hand prop with a dead battery.

Do not install an impusle mag without doing some research. There are some harmonic issues which may make the non impulse mags necessary.

George RV8

I have an 0-320 with dual impulse magnetos and I am amazed at how easy it starts. No prime, no throttle pump, just mixture rich and about 2.5 seconds on the starter. Hands down easier than any rental I've ever started.