Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
I just bought a new car and the dealer tried to sell me a paint protecting film applied to the forward bumper and hood areas of the car. The trade name is Autobahnd Roadblock (http://www.autobahndint.com/home.html), but it appears to be based on a 3M urethane film marketed for many uses. I haven't decided about the car, but just had my cowl repainted and would love to protect the forward portions of my new paint job. Has anyone had experience with this on aircraft?

Dean Pichon
RV-4
Bolton, MA

Dean,
I have some on the way (well, different brand) and plan to try it over polished Grove gear legs. I'm hoping to have enough extra to try stretching it over a wheel pant nose. If it will do that, it should work anywhere else. I'll report.

Hi Dan,

I look forward to your report. In poking around the web, I learned that installation appears to be labor intensive and difficult to get a good-looking result. I agree that if you can do a wheel pant, the cowl should workable. Thanks for the response.

3M film

I have used this 3 M product for years on various cars (it is installed on the front bumper and hood of my 8 year old BMW and is holding up just fine).

I applied the 3 M film to the rear top fuselage of my RV-4 to protect it against the rear canopy rubbing in this area. It is just fine. It is a little more visible on light colors. It can be removed with a heat gun if need be.

Try Clear Bra

I have a product called Clear Bra on my BMW and it is great. I had some samlples of the stuff sent to me for evaluation and it is super tough. I thought about some for the bottom of the flaps and the leading edges of the HS.

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A