IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'd like to test my fuel flow cube but I dont have the wings attached yet and I don't really want to mess with fuel. All I'm looking to do is verify that the cube works, and the wiring to the AFS display is ok. If I could see any flow indication at all I'd consider this a success.

Handy anyone done something like this? Can I just blow air though the cube by mouth? How much blowing to get an indication?

Use Stoddard Solvent

If your issue is safety - Auto companies used Stoddard Solvent for flow bench operations because its flash point is higher than gasoline. That being said they still had giant thick glass bells that were lowered over the carburetor or TBI while they were on the flow stand.

Today's Laugh: TBI was originally called an "electronic carburetor." As other companies started using common rail systems with individual, timed port injectors, some marketing genius renamed the "electronic carburetor" the "throttle body injector." However, most auto company engineers thought TBI was actually the acronym for "terrible, but injected." :)

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

I would call AFS. I know another EMS company has a small testing device you plug into your harness that emulates the signal so you can test the wiring. Perhpas AFS has a similar device.

In my personal experience, you can blow in them, but it takes zero air flow to make it spin fast. So just barley blow. No air compressors, canned air, etc. Just a very light breath. Remember, these things put out 30-60 thousand pulses per gallon, so if you empty your lungs into them that's about 2 liters of air in just a few seconds instead of 4 liters over 3 minutes.

In all reality, no harm in pouring some water through it either. They are all aluminum and plastic so no rust issues. Assuming you leave it sitting around for a while so there is no liquid water left inside when you go to bolt it to the fuel system.

Finally, if all you are testing is wiring, you can just short the signal wire to the ground wire and tap it quickly. This will show flow on the EFIS and you know at least your ground and signal wires are right. You can measure ground to power to know it's right. At that point, all that can be broken is the flow sender itself, which would be tremendously unlikely.

But if it were me, with my plane, I would just bolt it up, wire it like it says, and go. This really isn't something you need to test while installing.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics