lr172

Well Known Member
Am doing some tank work and thought it would be easiest to just mix the whole pint vs weighing it out in batches. However, may not finish and need to finish next day. I see that the proseal folks sell pre-mixed, frozen packs of this stuff, so am guessing it is a viable option.

Anyone try this with success?

Larry

While I wouldn't recommend it for your tank work, freezing mixed Proseal does work. Do a couple of test pieces first to get a feel for it because it adds challenges.

Your tanks are something you want to get right and you want them to be hassle free in future so its probably better to mix it up as you need it. This is why I only buy the tins of sealant, not the tube kits.

I'm also doing some tank work that involves a lot of re-sealing. I find it easier to work with small batches before it starts to go off and become harder to work within the 2 hour window.
I mix 20-30 g at a time with 10% hardener and this works well. The trick is to get a small digital scale that is accurate to 0.1g. Available at jewellers supply shops or at smoke shops or even eBay for around $25.

Last edited:
Freeze proseal

Long ago worked for one of the big Gulf of Mexico helo operators. We routinely would mix up several quarts at a time and load different sized syringes that got stored in a freezer. Can’t say how long it lasts when frozen because we went through it quickly.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in I
57 Pacer

One should probably allow it to warm up before exposing it to the air, to avoid water condensation on it.

Absolutely. Maybe you store it in baggies (with the air squeezed out) to facilitate that.

To the OP's question, freezing it isn't really a thing. It doesn't turn into a solid or change physical properties (other than viscosity) at fridge/freezer temperatures. Those temperatures just slow (or stop) the chemical reaction.

I've used it after putting mixed stuff in the freezer. Not sure were where I read it but I thought it was a vans doc that Said it can be used up to 4 days mixed and put into the freezer. I would make sure you set it in the freezer as soon as you apply enough to your part, so it isn't trying to kick off. If you find you need more, pull it out and let it thaw for 10 minutes, apply and put it right back in the freezer.

While I wouldn't recommend it for your tank work, freezing mixed Proseal does work. Do a couple of test pieces first to get a feel for it because it adds challenges.

Your tanks are something you want to get right and you want them to be hassle free in future so its probably better to mix it up as you need it. This is why I only buy the tins of sealant, not the tube kits.

I second the notion of just doing small batches at a time with accurate scales.
I’ve just finished a set of ER 10 tanks which probably use the most sealant of any RV tanks. They’re my 4th set of (leak free) RV tanks.

It took not quite 2 tins of sealant to do it. Plenty left over for senders etc.
You’re going to buy 2 tins for most RVs anyway so there’s no upside that I can see to mixing more than you can use in 90min.

One rib at a time. 30g of mixed sealant. Takes about an hour per rib.
There’s not much point in trying to go faster or mixing more sealant.
Wastage is pretty minimal.

Imho cold hard sealant is too much of a trade off for saving a few ounces. It’s much easier to work at room temp and I know people who actually heat it in the microwave too!

Thanks for all of the input. I am not building a tank, so consuming it much faster. My scale does not go out to .1 grams, but should manage if only mixing 2 or 3 batches out of the pint kit. lucky if garage gets over 50, so not worried about work time. The 2 hours goes to 8 at those temps, from what I read.

FYI, did a bit more research and apparently the stuff they freeze is at -40, not what I get in my freezer. Though I suspect that would still work for overnight purposes. Following their guidance, cure time should go from 2 -> 32 hours at 20* storage temp. Either way, I am going to skip that.

Last edited: