RV6AussieNick

Well Known Member
Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I did the unthinkable and cracked my canopy, I'm ready to order a new canopy from VANS, to help save $$$ I'm looking for another builder who might be placing an order soon to share shipping costs.

I've only ordered a canopy so there is plenty of room in box..

Ideally I'd be looking for someone shipping to Brisbane Australia..

If anyone can help, you can contact me on 0414779191
Cheers,

Nick..

Last edited:
I feel your pain re: shipping costs Nick.
My (Todds) -8 canopy should arrive in Adelaide any day now. I was able to share a box with someone that Todd put me on to. Helps, but it is still a killer. It'll totaly cave me in if I crack it.:eek:

I recon with shipping and taxes It will add over $15k to my build.

Best bet may be to ask Barb or Anne at Vans if they have another order from someone in Brissy in a similar position to yourself. Best of luck.

Paul.

Ships regularly

Nick, you might try Jeff Sharman from California. He regularly ships planes to OZ. There is always extra room in the containers. He has built several RV's himself.

Geoff Sharman
262 Silver Eagle Wy
Vacaville CA 95688
707 448-1103 Bus.
[email protected]
www.jarlin.com

Chris, Paul was referring to the added financial burden of shipping Internationally, coupled with the taxes, dues and fees associated with importing to Oz. When a shipment arrives with a value of A$1000, a federal tax of 10% is payable. We call it GST, a goods and services tax.

As a party piece I invite friends to guess how much my beautiful Todd's canopy cost. They are blown away when I say the canopy cost $350 US, but was almost $950 by the time it got to me. $600 in shipping with associated fees and dues, mostly this end.

Looking for a shipment to Brisbane

Hi Guys,

I've had a few calls from Aussie builders with info on shipping methods, very helpful, Unfortunately VANS did email me about a shipment heading to Brisbane, for some reason, that email didn't reach my inbox, it's still floating around in cyber space and I missed that shipment, pity as that would have been ideal..

I can wait a while as I'm still working on other parts of the aircraft, so if anyone is planing to order anything from VANS in the next few months please let me know..

Thanks for all you help.. What an amazing network we have threw the VAF..

Cheers,

Nick..

Nick,
I`m need of a new elevator spar.
I`m in Brisbane, and have a canopy here if you are stuck for one and it`s holding up your build.
My home number is on your voice mail.

Are you an SAAA Member if not, join up with us folk on the north side and you will find a few folk who might be shipping stuff soon.

I know of some, and there will be a heap of guidance if needed.

PM me if you won't more details.:)

Shipping to Australia

Guys,

We ship out of Portland, Oregon. In fact we can collect from VANS and pack/ship to Australia, big or small shipments for the most reasonable prices out there.

We have been shipping 3 containers per week of late. We cover all major ports in Australia - Brisbane, Fremantle, Melbourne and Sydney.

We used to ship a lot of VANS kits but haven't done one for a while but many here can vouch for us as we shipped their kits, engines, tools etc for them - all 100% delivered with no loss or damage.

The business is owned and run by expat Aussies and yes this is a blatant plug but it will save you a lot of money in the long run. We will beat ANY written sea mail quote. Get your quote, send us the specifics of what you are shipping and we will beat it. We also do all the clearance and include it in the price so all you have to do is pay, wait, wait, wait and then pick it up.

Cheers!

Interesting to see Aussie Car Importers back.
I was a great fan having had very good service some years ago.
However last time I asked for a quote they told me they were not interested (about 20 months ago - RV-12 Tailcone kit plus tools, all consolidated at Vans).
At the time the Aussie founder had moved back to Queensland and had someone in Portland still running that end, so still a going concern at the time. I remember having trouble even getting a reply at times to my request.
So hopefully the original excellent service has been recommenced.

John
Edit - I chose an unfortunate term above -it wasn't that they were not interested, more that they were unable to help and to seek quotes from other shippers.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Growing pains of an expanding company is all I can say. It basically went from 1 part time person to 1 full time person and now there are 5 in the US office and 2 in the Australian office.

The move back to Australia was for personal reasons not business however it sent the business through the roof.

We shipped 5 containers in 2007, 12 in 2008 (we thought we were busy then!), 21 in 2009, 36 in 2010, 43 in 2011 and we are in track to do 54+ this year.

So we are not back, we never left, just head down bum up working away. I was looking for something in email and VANS popped up and I thought that we hadn't shipped anything for them for a while and hence the reminder to drop in here and remind everyone we are just down the road, on both sides of the globe.

However last time I asked for a quote they told me they were not interested (about 20 months ago - RV-12 Tailcone kit plus tools, all consolidated at Vans).

Hard to imagine we have told anyone we were not interested. Last correspondence I have from you was about a plane in Canada and that is something out of our scope of work. It is like dealing with a foreign country - heck it is a foreign country!

My post was not meant as a critisism, more as an endorsement of Aussie Car Imports.
I chose the wrong term to use.
My experience when I have used them was very positive - fast, efficient, obliging and inexpensive.

John

John,

A quick update for you and the community as someone asked me about a Vans kit and I realised we hadn't shipped any for some time now.

On average in 2013 we shipped a 40'container out of the USA every 5 days!

We ARE the cheapest and if our initial quote is not cheaper, we will make it so.

We are based very close to Vans and therefore reduce your overall transport.

Vans will quote you and often they quote a 20' that may be half full.

We ship anything that is legal and our minimum charge is $100 (including AUS Customs and AQIS clearances).

We have shipped goods for many members on here and have always been true to our quotes. As our business grows our delivery times reduce. We look forward to being of further service to the Vans community.

Cheers!

I would definitely get a quote from them. They have been very competitive in their prices, and have provided an excellent service.
As well as full kits, they should be considered for smaller comsignments.
Just for the recor, I have no association with them at all, other than as a customer.
John