I'm very limited on panel space so a tradional rack type transponder is out for my plane. I've been looking at the Micro Air transponder kit that Spruce sells. Comes with everything you need. Price is pretty steep but looks like a good unit. Even if you buy a used KT-76 or something by the time you get an encoder, antenna, harness, rack, ect it adds up. Anyways curious if anyone here was running one and how you liked it.

I'm very limited on panel space so a tradional rack type transponder is out for my plane. I've been looking at the Micro Air transponder kit that Spruce sells. Comes with everything you need. Price is pretty steep but looks like a good unit. Even if you buy a used KT-76 or something by the time you get an encoder, antenna, harness, rack, ect it adds up. Anyways curious if anyone here was running one and how you liked it.

I'd say search the archives. There are a fair number of posts about folks having problems getting service.

I have one

I have a Micro-Air T2000SFL transponder going into my panel, however, I am still a ways off from flying. Several people have posted problems with the Micro-Air. Factory service is difficult (partially because they are in Australia) and overall operation is sometimes questionable. I'm going to go ahead and give mine a try because I picked it up new for a great price.....if it goes TU, I'll replace it with the Becker unit. Becker has a great reputation, and is the same small size.

Factory service is difficult (partially because they are in Australia) and overall operation is sometimes questionable.

I had one in my last RV, and based on my experience both of these statements are correct. Things may have changed since then, but I had operational and service difficulties with the one I owned six or seven years back.

mcb

Several of my friends have put the Trig unit in their sailplanes for panel space and power draw considerations and have been happy with it so far.

TODR

Had one in my Nanchang and it was hard to read in any sunlight and was tough to change codes in any kind of rough air. Otherwise it worked flawlessly for the 500hrs I had it. Don

I've had one in my -8 for 300 hours. Early on (2004-2005) I had issues in major controlled airspace where it would lock up. Turns out there was a problem where it got confused with Mode S interrogations. I sent it to a repair shop in Penn. and it was fixed for free (even though the warranty expired). It has worked flawlessly since.

MicroAir T2000 SFL for sale

I have one still in a box and want to use the Garmin instead. They sell new for $2050 and I will sell this one for $1400. Anyone interested call (810)499-4616.

MicroAir Transponder with 250+ hours

I have one of these units and it works just fine. I get flight following all the time. The only problem that I've seen is that you have to get a little closer to Class "B" airspace before they start picking up Mode C. It makes them nervous, so sometimes I get in and through, other times I have to go under a layer to get closer and then I get through. I fly over ATL/MCO/TPA all the time and have no problems.

Since I am wishing to upgrade to a Mode S, I'm removing mine and offering for sale for a reasonable offer. They are now going for $2250 on the MicroAir website and I'd take $1200 for mine.

R/
Frank

Microair transponder

I have one in use for 6 years. I had an occational problem the first year until I discovered it was related to moisture. Since I put a pancake dryer/heater in my cockpit in the winter while hangared I have had no problems.

From my previous life working for an avionics dealer, we stopped carrying MicroAir due to very poor service and a poor quality unit. Becker is a much better unit but again has service issues to do them being out of Germany. To be honest I'd try very hard to get a Garmin in your radio stack.