IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I want to finish up my firewall and all that is left to do are the throttle, mixture, carb heat control cable holes.

Vans locations are down very low, through the heat box cover. This will require some pretty good bend from the throttle quadrant (hung below panel) down to the heat box cover. The cables will be either visible between the rudders or even sharper bend above the rudders.

Looking at this, I'm thinking of running the cables through the bottom of the firewall recess. This will make for a straighter shot inside, but a sharper bend outside?

I have an O-320 with a carb. No prop goverener. Has anyone done this, and are there any pictures?

Thanks!

That is where I penetrated the firewall for mine

I don't have any photos handy at this computer but that is where I ran the throttle, mixture and carb heat control cables on my RV-6A with an O-360-A1A. My prop control cable penetrates the firewall farther to the left (pilot's side of the firewall. These penetration points result in smooth routing and operation.

Bob Axsom

Thanks Bob - it "looks" like it will work, but I don't have the engine hung yet. I'm thinking I might have them run through the slanted upper portion of the recess, so that will give them a headstart on the downwards bend.

If anyone has pictures, please post them so we can learn!

Thanks so much,

Hi Dave,

I ran the throttle and mixture through the lower part of the firewall recess. If you go that route you may need different length control cables. Van's has a number of different lengths to work with.

If I ever decide to add a CS prop, I might need to move one of them to make room for the prop governor.

controls through the firewall recess

in my 7 i have routed the controls through the firewall recess. i did not like the dangling routing and have tried to keep leg room clear. no particular issues other than figuring out your own lengths and routes... a bit time consuming to make it work with standard lengths available from vans but it all worked out.

img4066y.jpg

Cables through recess

I ran the cabin heater control cable through the lower SIDE of the recess, and may run the mixture/throttle through too. Problem for me is I reinforced the recess and mounted van's 1/8" NPT manifold for fuel and oil pressure sensors, supported as required. Seemed like a good idea at the time . . .

I'll HOPEFULLY be getting the engine hung on the airframe this week.

Rick 90432

Excellent!

Guys - thanks for the confidence builder. I'm going to pretty much copy Stephen and use eyeballs on the slanty part of the recess - as that will give the cables a start at going down. I may put them a bit lower on the recess. BTW Stephen - what kind of cables and feedthrus did you use?

I really think this will work out best for me (no CS prop, and no plans for one) - I don't like the way Vans runs the cables inside. To low between pedals and I don't like the way they go thru the fuel pump access cover. This looks much better to me. But the best part is that I can defer the holes for right now!

I'm thinking hard about this after helping a friend change out his cables on a Beechcraft, and reading how the cables don't last very long. I want this to be the best I can, and also easy to change out.

Thanks to all, especially for the pics.