bkthomps

Well Known Member
On barnstormers, this guy seems to constantly have G430, 430W, 530, 530W's, etc

Talked to him on the phone and he was really pushing a 20% deposit on his next unit he plans to have, almost too eager/aggressive. Anyone done business with them before? His price wasn't "too good to be true", so there aren't the usual warning signs.

Looking to be protected by VAF community experience, here's a sample ad.

http://barnstormers.com/classified_629298_GARMIN+GNS+430+NON-WAAS.html

I've wondered the same thing just last week.

A google search only reveals only the Barnstormers ads that have anything to do with aviation. The actual new millennium products had nothing to do with surplus Garmin's or anything else airplane. That put me off even contacting them.

There are a few legitimate avionics shops that have 430/530's on Barnstormers from time to time. I would stick with a legitimate shop, preferably one close to home.

Well I received an email from him that is from a gmail account, and I am not impressed with the overall email. I am going to steer clear, recommend others do the same.

Domain search

Closest match I could find was 'newmillenniumproducts.biz'. That domain was selling Garmin but has been shutdown and the name put back up for sale. May not be the same guy but I would move on down the road....

Along these lines, I heard something interesting over the $100 hamburger yesterday. And please, I'm not implying this person is anything but honest.

I guess thieves are stealing two G430's at the same time: one from plane A the other from plane B. They take plane A's G430 and put it into plane B. Keeping plane B's G430 to sell on e-bay. This way, plane A reports a stolen G430 serial number XXXX as stolen. However plane B has that serial number installed and the thief is selling G430 serial number YYYY (not reported) on e-bay. It's only when plane B's owner sends his unknowingly stolen G430 in for maintenance or someone cross references serial numbers that the true theft is known. Crazy, right?

Best to you,

-Jim

Along these lines, I heard something interesting over the $100 hamburger yesterday. And please, I'm not implying this person is anything but honest.

I guess thieves are stealing two G430's at the same time: one from plane A the other from plane B. They take plane A's G430 and put it into plane B. Keeping plane B's G430 to sell on e-bay. This way, plane A reports a stolen G430 serial number XXXX as stolen. However plane B has that serial number installed and the thief is selling G430 serial number YYYY (not reported) on e-bay. It's only when plane B's owner sends his unknowingly stolen G430 in for maintenance or someone cross references serial numbers that the true theft is known. Crazy, right?

Best to you,

-Jim

Not as crazy as you might think....we've caught this very thing more than once. Last fall we had such a deal. One of them was traced back to an "ex employee" of an aircraft mfgr that took a number of them out of the factory. Then, swapped them from a similar plane on a ramp at airport "xyz", then proceeded to do the same thing with the recently swapped units to another airplane at airport "abc", then finally sold the now thrice swapped units later for cash. The two owners who had their units swapped were none the wiser other than their settings had changed.

Later a customer who brought one in (after paying 70% of a new one for the hot one) to get accessories for the box doesn't know much about where it came from. A quick couple phone calls with the serial numbers and it was obvious something was wrong....and it all unraveled from there. The kid was a "ramper" at a local airport and was quickly arrested (the police later found tools and stolen headsets in his truck) and he's in a LOT of hot water. The single theft turned into multiple felonies and the worst part is the end user/customer is out both the cash and the box for the forseeable future.

The plane A / plane B swap has also become more commonplace too.

My point is that while I'm not suggessting this is the case here at all with the original post, it indeed does happen (though you have to be pretty dense to think you won't get caught).

My 2 cents as usual looking at this from someone who's dealt with this. It's a sad testament of modern society that we even have to hear the words "buyer beware"....nothing is more disgusting to me than someone who is so lazy and worthless that they have to steal what someone else worked for.

Cheers,
Stein

Amen

Amen to the last paragraph.

However, that being said (and true) I am regularly impressed with the good things many people do (especially young ones).

Scam

This guy, or guys is still at it, beware. Barnstormers, Ebay, and I'm looking for other traces of him. Definitely check out the too good to be true deals. He/they seem to run ads/auctions on weekends. One report on Barnstormers.com is that the stuff sold is junk type equipment, not worth the money, or effort. Goes by Bob Sans, Anthony San Filippo. Robert San Filippo. Someone on the ebay auction contact was Dan, flyboy55201. Email [email protected] the FBI is on to him/them.

Last edited: