erikpmort

Well Known Member
I flew 2.5 hours last saturday and i was missing my headrest from my previous plane- has anyone made their own? is there even a way to make one work with the stock seatback setup? the only one i can find is the classic aero headrests, and while i look forward to the idea of that, i'm not sure i can bring myself to spend 3K+ or more. I'm a little surprised to not see more of them on RVs.

I flew 2.5 hours last saturday and i was missing my headrest from my previous plane- has anyone made their own? is there even a way to make one work with the stock seatback setup? the only one i can find is the classic aero headrests, and while i look forward to the idea of that, i'm not sure i can bring myself to spend 3K+ or more. I'm a little surprised to not see more of them on RVs.

Hi Erik,

Your post caught my eye because of the headrests. Being a vendor, I don't want to speak out of place here. As you mentioned, we've made these for our Aviator seats for quite a while now. Hopefully I can give some useful information.

The thing we found over the years was that people tend to put a lot of weight on the headrests. Our first headrests seemed pretty strong, but they still got bent out of shape, so we had to make them stronger (and keep them light). If you are just making one for yourself, it probably doesn't need to be that strong. You'll know you can't be too rough with it. You might need to mention it to passengers though.

Years ago we had a customer make a small headrest bracket that was added to the stock seat frame. He had us make a little pad for it. It was very light duty, but it worked for him.

The headrest option on our Aviator seats is $293 in leather (less for other materials). It's the frame with all of the laser cut parts, Cherrymax rivets, mandrel bent tubing, sliding lumbar, visco elastic foam, leather, lots of labor etc. that are the bulk of the cost. Hopefully that didn't sound too defensive. I know the Aviators are not for everyone. If we could make them for less, we would :).

If you wanted to make a small bracket to support a pad we could work with you to figure something out like we did with this other customer. Hope this information was helpful. If I can answer any other questions, just let me know.

Best regards,

Well, here is what I call a real stand up vendor :). Thanks for your input on this topic Luke, offering advice other than pushing your own product was very considerate of you.

I've purchased a few 'interiors' from Luke and all of their stuff is very nice and the service is wonderful :).

To the OP......I agree with Luke that if you want to save some money and do it yourself it should be a breeze to whip out a headrest and fasten it to your 'per plans' seat backs. You could do just one side or both sides AND you could make them removable so you could still have super easy access to the rear baggage area.....that's my only 'issue' with headrests.....gotta' be able to access that baggage :rolleyes:.

Just about any local upholstery shop will cover your finished home brew headrest just the way you want it.....if you don't have someone local just send it off to Luke or another vender from this site and I'm sure they will cover it for you.

It sounded like you were looking for some pics or other ideas of how folks have done this....if you don't get any replies slip me an email and I'd be more than happy to come up with a few ways to make the headrests. I'm sure we could even market these for other folks. Uh Oh....another vendor might have just 'borrowed' my marketing idea :eek: :D. Well, maybe they will ask first ;).

Hi Erik,

Your post caught my eye because of the headrests. Being a vendor, I don't want to speak out of place here. As you mentioned, we've made these for our Aviator seats for quite a while now. Hopefully I can give some useful information.

The thing we found over the years was that people tend to put a lot of weight on the headrests. Our first headrests seemed pretty strong, but they still got bent out of shape, so we had to make them stronger (and keep them light). If you are just making one for yourself, it probably doesn't need to be that strong. You'll know you can't be too rough with it. You might need to mention it to passengers though.

Years ago we had a customer make a small headrest bracket that was added to the stock seat frame. He had us make a little pad for it. It was very light duty, but it worked for him.

The headrest option on our Aviator seats is $293 in leather (less for other materials). It's the frame with all of the laser cut parts, Cherrymax rivets, mandrel bent tubing, sliding lumbar, visco elastic foam, leather, lots of labor etc. that are the bulk of the cost. Hopefully that didn't sound too defensive. I know the Aviators are not for everyone. If we could make them for less, we would :).

If you wanted to make a small bracket to support a pad we could work with you to figure something out like we did with this other customer. Hope this information was helpful. If I can answer any other questions, just let me know.

Best regards,

Step 1: Call Luke.
Step 2: Wait a little bit.
Step 3: Enjoy!

copyof20130205115919.jpg

My list would look like

1) wait more than a little bit

2) call Luke

3) enjoy !

:)

I never said they weren't worth the price. I do want a pair.

If somehow you could engineer them to be removale like car headrests you wouldn't have to compromise on the baggage access. But yeah that could mean more weight.