dbuds2

Well Known Member
Found this beautiful example of experimental ingenuity at it's best at SnF this year. I'd like to talk to the builder and see if I can use this technique instead of Van's fairings. Does anyone know the builder or if you are the builder and see this posting, please reply with contact information.

my.php
[/URL]

FROM THE FAA WEBSITE

OWNER

HERRIFORD RICHARD R
Street PO BOX 10
City GARDINER State MONTANA Zip Code 59030-0010
County PARK
Country UNITED STATES

+++++++++++++++++++
BUILT BY:

Serial Number 80191 Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name BOEPPLE BARRY Certificate Issue Date 08/19/2002
Model VANS RV-8 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine

Is the fairing aluminum? There was an article in the RVator quite a while ago that described how to make the fairing from sheet aluminum; it's also in "27 years of the RVator" as well.

The plane sure looks neat!

you can look up most info from the federal database.

try this search:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=118SR&cmndfind.x=18&cmndfind.y=9

looks like this is his info:

HERRIFORD RICHARD R
Street PO BOX 10
City GARDINER State MONTANA Zip Code 59030-0010
County PARK
Country UNITED STATES

mail him a letter, and good luck!

edit- vern beat me to it, that's what happens when i'm doing chores and surfing the internet at the same time. anyway, the federal database is pretty open to anyone with a computer for future reference.

I'll keep my fairing, thanks.

I'm no aeronautical engineer, but it looks like this would invite more interference drag than the smooth intersection provided by Van's fairing. Any input from all you engineers?

This is my preferred solution:

No need to mess with wrapping the fiberglass faring around elevators.

(FYI - If you get a virus warning, no need to send me a note. The site had been hacked two weeks ago and was secured and cleaned the next day. It takes Google and the others some time to rescan suspected sites and give them a clean bill of health.)

Last edited: