Drifteral

Sponsor
Looking for anyone in or near Port St. Lucie Florida.

My mothers sister lives there and wont get the **** out of dodge before the storm. I'm in Nebraska and cant make it down there to check on here after the storm blows over.

Wondering if anyone in or near could check on her?

Thanks
Al
402-640-2068

I'm not there, but all of my family is. Where, specifically, does your Aunt live?

About a half mile north of Port St. Lucie Blvd on South West Starflower Ave.
She's fine right now but if the phones are out after the storm I wont have anyway to get ahold of her or check in.

This is just a precaution so to speak. She's only a half mile from the Police Dept but I imagine their going to but up to eyeballs after the storm blows through.

Thanks
Al

About a half mile north of Port St. Lucie Blvd on South West Starflower Ave.
She's fine right now but if the phones are out after the storm I wont have anyway to get ahold of her or check in.

This is just a precaution so to speak. She's only a half mile from the Police Dept but I imagine their going to but up to eyeballs after the storm blows through.

Thanks
Al

A couple of things from a 25 Year PSL Florida resident (Close to current intersection of Cross town parkway and Turnpike).

1. Evacuation is generally not an option. The only way to really evacuate is up, and that is usually in the path of the storm.

2. The only people that need to evacuate are those with a medical condition that is fatal if power is lost (evacuate to a hospital / medical shelter), those that are in trailer parks or manufactured homes (very poor wind resistance), and those that are in storm surge areas (barrier islands).

3. Those that do evacuate generally travel less than 20 mi, mostly to not be alone.

4. People are more likely to die during the evacuation than they are during the storm (let that one sink in a little bit).

5. The house that your aunt lives in has either been through at least 2 category 2+ hurricanes undamaged, or has been damaged and rebuilt / repaired to more stringent building codes in place after Hurricane Andrew.

6. Your Aunt will be fine, and if I were there. I would stay as well.

A couple of things from a 61yr Florida & Caribbean resident:

1 - Evacuation is always a good option. Sometimes the only safe one.
2 - Everybody needs to evacuate if in a unsafe area, typically flood zone A or B or close to the ocean.
3 - You don't need to evacuate very far. Just out of the main danger zone and in to a structure stronger than your typical house, no matter when it was built.
4 - People are more likely to die by not evacuating from the typical house in an unsafe area.
5 - A Cat 3 hurricane is exponentially more dangerous than a Cat 2. A Cat 4 is exponentially more dangerouse than a Cat 3. (Andrew was a Cat 4 when it made landfall.) The mainland US has not been hit by a Cat 5, yet.
6 - I hope your Aunt will be OK, but depending where she lives she should consider going to a shelted for that one night. I, for one, have already evacuated from St. Augustine.

:cool:

Last edited: