jjhoneck

Well Known Member
I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Sport SX.

Does anyone have one of these cool units installed in an RV somewhere South of Dallas that I could have a look at? I could fly to you, or you could fly to me -- doesn't matter to me!

Thanks!

Many thanks to Chip Freitag, for flying down today and showing me his awesome Dynon Skyview panel!

I'm still hoping someone has a GRT panel? Chip has convinced me to go the 10" screen route, so I'm hoping to see a Horizon-equipped panel.

Someone? Anyone? I'll fly to you, or you can fly to me!

Not nearby but ...

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Sport SX.

Does anyone have one of these cool units installed in an RV somewhere South of Dallas that I could have a look at? I could fly to you, or you could fly to me -- doesn't matter to me!

Thanks!

I can show you a three (3) screen Sport installation that I have via a video chat. Or I can just discuss over the phone some of the in's and outs.

Just did an installation for a friend and in the process had overlay plates made that will allow you to remove four (4) 3 1/8" gauges and install a 6.4" Sport + 3 2 1/4" instruments. Of course this doesn't help you if you are considering the 10".

If you have questions, feel free to call 803 two three eight 2113 or email jclarkmail <overthere at> gmail.com. I have helped install a few of these and have upgraded a few systems for friends with these as well.

James

I can show you a three (3) screen Sport installation that I have via a video chat. Or I can just discuss over the phone some of the in's and outs.

Just did an installation for a friend and in the process had overlay plates made that will allow you to remove four (4) 3 1/8" gauges and install a 6.4" Sport + 3 2 1/4" instruments. Of course this doesn't help you if you are considering the 10".

If you have questions, feel free to call 803 two three eight 2113 or email jclarkmail <overthere at> gmail.com. I have helped install a few of these and have upgraded a few systems for friends with these as well.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the kind offer. I'm really, REALLY hoping for a hand's on, touchy feely, get-to-know-you, in-person-up-close-and-personal (whew!) visit with both a Sport and a Horizon, before I take the leap.

If I can't get that, some how, some way, I will give you a buzz.
--
Jay

Jay, Double check with GRT becuase at Oshkosh last summer they said they were discontinuing the Sport. I am installing my third GRT system and love their product. My RV4 has the Sport SX and it is the perfect unit for ocassional IFR and lots of fun but if they had the HXr out when I did my panel upgrade that is the way I would have gone. That is what I'm putting in my current RV8 build.

I have dual 8.4 Hx units in my RV9A. I am in the OKC area if you are interested in coming up to see. I would be glad to give you time touching/feeling/seeing. I would love to let you go fly behind it with me if you just twisted my arm just right. :) Send me a PM, email at steveingraham (at) hot male (dot) com, or call at four 0 fife eight eight 2 zero six two uno. If you are interested in coming up I can put you up in a hangar and a room as I just posted (post #7) on this thread about hangars available for cross country flyers:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=108304

panel%2520pic%2520large.JPG

LOP%2520%2540%252029F.jpg

Jay, Double check with GRT becuase at Oshkosh last summer they said they were discontinuing the Sport. I am installing my third GRT system and love their product.

From my personal experience, dont let the possibility of a product being canceled scare you.

I have the first generation GRT screens in my plane, I bought the project with the GRT units as part of the package-----------and when I had questions or needed any kind of help, including one box going stupid, the good folks at GRT took care of things.

GRT has been there for me as a second owner of a discontinued product. I can only say the support and service from GRT is outstanding.

Definately if the Sport is what you want and you can't find it new a used one will still be well supported by GRT. As Mike said GRT supports all their products very well and will even check out a used unit for you to be sure it is up to spec.

Thanks, guys. My plan has now evolved into installing the Horizon HXr, for reasons you've mentioned.

After seeing Chip's panel, with both the little and big Dynons installed side-by-side, it instantly became obvious that size matters. My 55 year old eyes ain't getting any better, and the bigger screen was much easier to read.

Steve, OKC is a wee bit far for such a flight, unfortunately. Unless you want to come down here -- it's 71 here today, and Mary and I will throw in a free night's stay at our aviation themed hotel. :D