noelf

Well Known Member
Here is what I am attempting to do with the aera 500 unit...
1. set the MAP to NORTH UP mode
2. Set the COMPASS ARC to ON
3. Set the HEADING BUG to ON

This is what I have happening...
1. The COMPASS ARC can only be displayed in TRACK UP MODE
...if the MAP is now changed to NORTH UP, then the COMPASS ARC disappears and can not be displayed again, even if TRACK UP MODE is selected.
2. The MAP must be reinitialized to FACTORY DEFAULT settings to get the compass arc to reappear. This then puts the MAP display in TRACK UP mode.

Has anyone else tried the NORTH UP mode and still have the compass arc and heading bug remain displayed??

Or, do most moving map GPS users elect the TRACK UP mode??

FYI, the compass arc on Garmin units has always been available only in track-up orientation.

mcb

I talked to the Product Support folks at Garmin this am...

...it was a pleasant experience. Way to go Garmin!!!

mcb...you are correct, the compass arc is not viewable on the North Up mode. Some previous portable GPS models allowed you to view the compass rose and heading bug (ala RMI) on a north up mode, but not the aera, which is why I thought I could do this. Wrong...

My aera is running with s/w version 2.3, latest is V 2.5 This should allow the selection of N up to Track up & back again without having to select "reset defaults" to get the compass arc back again.

Garmin Support also suggested turning "off" North Up On Ground as this could cause the compass arc to disappear.

I guess Support was somewhat surprised that I had read the Pilots Guide booklet. I am apparently the first person to point out some missing steps in selecting Direct-To function described on pages 64&65.

Nice unit, easy to use, mostly intuitive, and for me, sunlight readable.