Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hi All,

Due to the very compact nature of the RV-3 panel, I am looking for a simple solution to backup airspeed and altitude that will fit in a 2-1/4" hole. The Infinity Singles from MGL seem a lot more reasonable (for a backup) than the certified small altimeters for about Four Grand!! (Wentworth had one used at OSH - $1450, no negotiation).

I'm curious if we have anyone flying with the combined ASI/Altimeter (the ASX-1), and what you think of it.

Remember, this is a backup for a G3X - not a primary instrument!

Paul

Mounting the unit

Hi Iron,

I'm not flying, but I've got one installed in the panel for backup purposes.

I think the unit came with #4 phillips head mounting screws. That may not be a big deal for you. If you are going to deviate away from the supplied screws, you can go as big as #6. They will also need to be 7/8" long. I also tried a set of "grasshoppers" but there just wasn't enough room to insert it.

Regards,

Have you looked at the UMA 2 1/4" instruments (non-TSO'ed)? Very compact, very little weight, reasonable prices.

Hi All,

Due to the very compact nature of the RV-3 panel, I am looking for a simple solution to backup airspeed and altitude that will fit in a 2-1/4" hole. The Infinity Singles from MGL seem a lot more reasonable (for a backup) than the certified small altimeters for about Four Grand!! (Wentworth had one used at OSH - $1450, no negotiation).

I'm curious if we have anyone flying with the combined ASI/Altimeter (the ASX-1), and what you think of it.

Remember, this is a backup for a G3X - not a primary instrument!

Paul

true backup

+1 for UMA, I have a MGL Odyssey as my primary display so I have nothing against MGL products. I too thought about using their singles as a backup. However, I like that my UMA airspeed will work without electricity. I know with backup batteries and all it's unlikely, but it's nice to still have a whiskey compass and airspeed if the electrical gods conspire against me.

Last edited:
Yes, I have looked at the UMA's, and while the ASI would be fine, I can probably use one of my backup GPS's more effectively than a single-pointer altimeter. I'm not to worried about power loss - I'm used to designing in electrical redundancy.

Paul