cjensen

Well Known Member
I'm just wondering what can and can't be done with a carb. Obviously negative and outside maneuvers are out, but can it take a loop, roll, or climb to the vertical? I don't plan on doing any hard, negative, or outside stuff, but may want to play light fighter pilot from time to time, and I think I'm gonna go carb.

:confused:

cjensen said:
I'm just wondering what can and can't be done with a carb. Obviously negative and outside maneuvers are out, but can it take a loop, roll, or climb to the vertical? I don't plan on doing any hard, negative, or outside stuff, but may want to play light fighter pilot from time to time, and I think I'm gonna go carb.

I do basic loops, rolls, cuban eights for hours at a time with a carb. Works fine.

Besides, even if I had opted for injection I wouldn't want to run inverted for long without inverted oil. A couple of times I've had the carb sputter - it just works out to be a nice reminder of when its time to get positive G's somehow.

Ditto on the carb..

I agree with the above poster. I owned a straight Citabria 7ECA with a float carb once and totally had a ball with what the airplane would allow me to do. As mentioned above, the sputtering of the engine is a nice reminder of your limitations. If you really want sustained inverted( or anything with a negative value), along with inverted oil, don't forget the inverted fuel tanks mod. as well.

Don't know about you, but economics is driving a lot of my decision making these days,....and I know I can still have a lot of fun!!!!

Jeff
-8 wings

P.S. Don't try this at home... there is a great Stearman act that uses a stock 220hp Stearman and does a GREAT show with that airplane...low level to boot!

Yes........

Mornin' all..........Saturday dawned cool and calm.......RV upside/downside time!! Around 6:30 ayem, a couple of rolls right and left, a loop or two and a sloppy Immelman. Then a repeat to do 'rounder' loops and a four point roll.

Sustained inverted flight to me is no fun........dirt in the eyes, notebooks falling out of pocket and if you're not careful, busted shins on dash underside to boot! After 20 minutes or so of Carb/aero time, you'll need a break anyway,
Regards, ;)

Inside loops, Aileron rolls R&L, Barrel rolls R&L, Spins R&L, Immelmanns, Split-S, Hammerhead turns, Wing-overs, Clover leaf, all with carburetor.

Keep positive

cjensen said:
I think I'm gonna go carb. :confused:
Good plan. All my aerobatic RV time is with a Carb.

Besides all the positive stuff everyone mentioned you can do zero G stuff like hesitation rolls or extending an inverted down line or floating over the top of a loop. Positive G's by definition is anything above zero. Example 0.3 G's gives you a semi-weightless feeling, but enough to keep the engine fuel and oil basiclly where it belongs. I found the more aggressive I approached zero G's the more oil I got on the belly, but that was it.

Anything right up to zero is fine, but intentional continuous negative is a no no. However an occasionally jump on the negative side momentarily will not cause ill effect, except may be the engine will stumble momentarily and more oil on the belly. Continuous negative G's major issue is oil pressure.

To be clear it is very easy to do LOTS of aerobatic maneuvers and keep positive G's.

If you become an aerobatic monster or expert you'll out grow positive G maneuvers. I have seen that happen a few times with friends. There's a few ways to get your negative G acro fix satisfied. Install inverted fuel and oil systems in your RV or get an aerobatic plane. The latter option is doable with a club or group going in on buying a dedicated acro plane. I know a bunch of RV's that went in on a Zlin-50. It's easy to maintain and has a Lyc engine. It's a better acro plane than a RV. It works well in a partnership since you usually only fly it 20-30 minutes at a time.

Lets say you get into IAC competition down the road, the entry level is the sportsman category. It's a pos-G class, but you almost need to fly negative G's to be competitive so I am told. I never competed but a buddy did in his RV-4. One required maneuver I recall was an inverted 45 down line. The longer you hold it the better. Its hard to do with positive G's. However it can be done. Your engine might cut out momentarily, but it will roar to life when you flip over again; its kind of exciting to watch and hear you engine cutting out and back in. Many Piper Cubs or Citabria's fly this class with their engines cutting in and out. Frankly the RV is not great for competition because its fast, and staying in the "box" is a challenge. I was lucky to be taught Acro in a Stearman. I remember the engine coughed and stumbled a lot while I was learning.

Obviously oil pressure is critical. Ask an engine expert what affect a momentary oil P drop has. Its may not be ideal, but we're talking about a momentary drop. I have heard of more engines w/ inverted oil systems getting toasted (ruined) when the system failed or stuck.

Bottom line there's a ton of fun you can do on the positive side of zero G's, not involving competition, which is fun, safe and easy to do (with some basic training). There's no need to fear an inadvertent excursion onto the negative side. It's easy to fix, pull on the stick a little or roll upright. With practice you can fly the exact G's you want by seat of the pants, but highly recommend you have a G's meter in any plane you intend on doing aerobatics in.

Most are quite happy on the positive G side, including me. Also RV's are not really that great for extended inverted flight and fly due to the airfoil. You need a lot of positive (negative?) angle of attack to fly which is draggy.

You will have endless hours of Acro fun if you are just starting out. If I am solo I try to roll and loop at least once every flight if possible. If you get to an advanced or expert level you can deal with the inverted stuff later. I am still trying to get good with the positive stuff. I would like to buy a pure Aerobatic plane with partners. I just could no justify the cost and weight for the inverted oil system and switching to Fuel Injection or Ellison TB for my RV.

Last edited: