bryanrene

saw harmon rocket 1 for sale on barnstormers. RV3 w/ 220hp and 3 blade CS prop. Can't find much info on it-much more on HR II. Has anyone flown a HR 1? I can only imagine that it must be nose heavy and I would guess the alleged nice handling qualities of the RV3 are diminished. Would love a pirep if anyone has flown one.

Anyone Flown a Rocket 1?

I had breakfast with John Harmon this morning and we chatted about this particular airframe - it has an interesting past that John could share with you. Also, since he built 2 of only 4 total (3 currently on FAA's registry), he would probably be the best one to give insight on their handling characteristics. Call him at the Rocket Shop Cafe at L45 - he will give you the info you require.

HFS

Rocket I

I saw that plane on Barnsrormers as well. Looks like a nice machine. I talked with Jim about it and he said it flies just like a -3. The bad part about this Rocket is it hits VNE speed in cruise which is no good. If you fly like I do I like to do a little buzzing if you will at high speeds and this Rocket would be liable to rip its own wings off with the power up front if your not keeping a close eye on your indicated airspeed. Im interested in the plane but you could never get peek performance out of it because your VNE wouldn't let it happen. Still looks like a kick in the *** kind of plane though..."Expensive Toy" especially when you can only idle around and always worried about indicated airspeed..

Hi Shane, I thought that the RVs that John "Rocketized" had higher VNE speeds, Including this Rv 3 rocket. Beefed wings and heavier skins etc. Just curious.

Paul