Walt

Well Known Member
I suspect the power rating and narrow tuning of an ELT antenna may not be correct for use with a com but I'm not certain if it will work or not. Anyone done any research on this or have any experience with this combo?

Wouldn't see why a simple whip monopole ELT antenna, designed for 121.5, wouldn't work just fine as a com antenna. It's presumably tuned well for low SWR at 121.5, which is on the lower half of the com band but not extreme. Maybe a different story with the newer antennas designed for 121.5/406.

Wouldn't see why a simple whip monopole ELT antenna, designed for 121.5, wouldn't work just fine as a com antenna. It's presumably tuned well for low SWR at 121.5, which is on the lower half of the com band but not extreme. Maybe a different story with the newer antennas designed for 121.5/406.

I don't disagree with the above, and it seems logical, but I was hoping to find some "scientific" data to confirm that's it's ok to use (I don't want to fry someones xmtr because I "thought" it would work). I've sent a note to a couple of antenna manfacturers but have had no response yet.

Hello Walt,

I haven't tested an ELT antenna for broadband Com performance but I have tested a simple wire type antenna in the condition you mentioned.

Some may see this as going beyond Walt's question but the data points out the importance of a quality antenna system and how it contributes to solid, reliable communication.

All data was gathered with Anritsu lab grade equipment calibrated with traceable standards.

Test one:
This antenna is a simple bent wire type antenna designed to be mounted on the underside of the aircraft. This antenna is available from several suppliers priced in the range of $40 to $80.

The data plot indicates the antenna was cut for the band center of 127 MHZ and provides its best performance at that frequency, moving away from 127 MHZ the losses increase and performance falls off.

The VSWR is less than 3.237 to 1 over the entire com frequency.

2irk8h.jpg

34eopp2.jpg

Test Two

This VHF com antenna has a built in impedance matching network and is designed to provide broad frequency response over the entire 118 to 136 MHZ com frequency.

The data plot indicates a VSWR less than 1.56 to 1 over the entire com band.

2dviikl.jpg

35jgrut.jpg

Comparing the two data plots:

Test one indicates the antenna impedance varies from 15.44Ω to 161Ω

Test two indicates the antenna impedance varies from 32.05Ω to 78Ω

Modern Com transceivers are designed to produce optimum performance with a 50Ω load. As the impedance increases or decreases from 50Ω the communication performance will be less than optimum.

Since the receiver and the transmitter are using the same antenna, the receiver will be much more tolerant to impedance changes and will normally offer reasonable performance over the entire Com band with a simple wire antenna even with the extreme impedance range.

Things become more complicated from the transmitter side, the radio designers must deal with many factors including heat producing devices in a very limited space. Typical efficiency of the transmitter power amplifier is in the range of 60%, in other words to produce 6 watts of output requires starting with 10 watts, the other 4 watts is dissipated as heat.

For example many VHF Com radios are rated at 6 watts output with a 50Ω load.

Ohm's Law states to produce 6 watts of energy in a 50Ω load requires 17.32 volts at .346 amps. From a radio designers point of view, many build in devices to limit the power amplifier current and voltage slightly higher to insure it meets the rated spec's and call it a day.
This performs well till the antenna impedance changes. Using the numbers above, assume the load increases to 160Ω, with the voltage limited, the current drops to .108 amps and the unit produces 1.87 watts of output with good portion of that being reflected back (because of the high VSWR) to the power amplifier which again has to be dissipated as additional heat.

Because a VHF Com radio uses amplitude modulation (AM), the power amplifier of the radio must operate in the linear portion of it's envelope to a provide a clean distortion free, modulated RF wave. Changing the load to extremes above has the potential to move the power amplifiers envelope from a linear to a non linear portion of operation. This would come across the Com frequency as garbled, hard to understand transmission and may be heard on several other frequencies also.

Several times a month I receive questions like this: I can hear ATC fine in all portions of the Com band but ATC can not hear me at the lower and upper portions of the band, in all cases they are using a simple wire antenna.

A simple wire antenna has it's place if you use a narrow portion of the band and the antenna is cut for the frequency.

Don.. Can you give me a call tonight?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just want to say that if anyone needs to know something about antennas, Don is the man to go to.

He has generously offered to overnight me an antenna for the RV1, thanks Don!

I will rest easier knowing that the pilots flying this aircraft will have good communication throughout the entire frequency band (not just on 121.5).

The VAF community comes through AGAIN!

Last edited: