Sig600

Well Known Member
Begin rant:

To begin, I want my wing tip lenses to look like they're molded into the tips. One screw on each side holding them in, seamless transition.

My first set of wing tip lenses turned out horrible, I over trimmed them, they were crooked... just garbage. Ordered a new lens from Vans to start over. Second set came out much better. Taped them off completely, used Superfil to smooth out the transitions, sanded them down, popped them out... look great, although not perfect. While pulling one screw out, something grabbed and cracked the hole on one lense. %$!@#$!@#$^

On to round three. Trimmed it down, installed, another round of Superfil, sanded down, looking really good. Went to pop it out (just like the last time) and it cracked getting it out. #!%!@#$^@$%&%!@#$!~@#$%@#$^

I found an extra entire lens kit I didn't know I had.... so I'm going for round four. One of these days. When working on it doesn't just irritate me beyond the point of complete anger. :mad:

The only upside is one of them is really nice. I like it. The other is becoming a serious test of my patience.

End rant.

Perhaps you could use a cleco instead of a screw? My lenses are exactly as you describe but I did not build them. I check the torque occasionally and I am very cautious. I wonder if there are different manufacturers of these lenses and one is better than the other?

Perhaps you could use a cleco instead of a screw? My lenses are exactly as you describe but I did not build them. I check the torque occasionally and I am very cautious. I wonder if there are different manufacturers of these lenses and one is better than the other?

That's the plan.

After throwing my first set in the trash due to my lack of skills, I ended up buying a set from Cee Bailey. They fit perfectly out of the box pre-trimmed.

Thought this was a safety topic concerning flying skills at first glance - to which my answer is a solid "Yes"...

But in the fabrication area, I too fall short of my own standards quite often. I'm a trained, experienced A&P with a breadth of fabrication experience and I do airworthy work, for sure, but not much I do is a source of pride. There is always something a little off that bugs me enough to just keep my mouth shut, or will cause me to deflect a complement from a bystander.

I just took another look at Cory Bird's "Symmetry" on display at Mojave the other day.... If you REALLY want to deflate your ego, compare your work to THAT airplane!

Last edited:
Skills versus standards

If you are a true perfectionist, there is no such thing as perfect. There is always some way to make it better. Only took me about 50 years to lighten up and get a life. Sometimes good enough has to be good enough.

Jim Berry
Rv-10

Learning curve

On whatever pursuit, if I reach to point of being satisfied, I know I have stopped learning. The FAA has it right on this one, we build for our "education and entertainment." You will learn something on try #4. Don't lose heart.

Bob

Feel your pain

Sig, I feel your pain and I'm not even there yet. I'm struggling with these $:mad:&$?!$& empennage tips! Add filler, sand it off, and do it again, again and again. Just can't get them to my satisfaction. Suppose I may have to lower my standards a tad or this thing will never fly. And now I can look forward to fitting the lens covers-wow, just can't wait.