pilotian

Well Known Member
Out of pure boredom at school, I decided to look into N-number registration and the rules and guidelines. It never dawned on me that I couldn't use my initials at the end of my N number "IH" (since I isnt used in N#) drat.......

Anyone else have this problem? What other creative things did you do instead? I'm thinking of trying to dedicate to my father (passed away when I was young-er) by putting DH instead hmmmmm.....

Ideas?

(This is what a highschooler that is addicted to aviation does in study hall) :D

Out of pure boredom at school, I decided to look into N-number registration and the rules and guidelines. It never dawned on me that I couldn't use my initials at the end of my N number "IH" (since I isnt used in N#) drat.......

Anyone else have this problem? What other creative things did you do instead? I'm thinking of trying to dedicate to my father (passed away when I was young-er) by putting DH instead hmmmmm.....

Ideas?

(This is what a highschooler that is addicted to aviation does in study hall) :D

You can always use 1H. I and O are not used because they can be confused with 1 and 0.

Using initials can cause other confusion. I used my initials on my Moni Motorglider (N59MA) and everywhere I went ATC always asked what kind of Mitsubishi Aircraft cruises at 90 kts.

Last edited:
No India's or Oscar's allowed in reg #'s. Use 1's or 0's instead, except first character after "N" can't be a zero.

There's an old thread on this somewhere. Do a search in these forums and you will find a thread that provides all kinds of rationale as to how folks came up with their N-numbers. My preferred would have been "N314DH," but the last time I looked it is on a P-51 out in Oregon or Washington.

I have reserved for my RV-7 the registration "N517D." "51" is my wife's birthday, plus P-51 is my favorite warbird. "7" because it's an RV-7 and I like the number 7...it's a prime, lucky and all that. And "D" because my name is Don. Also, if I want to shorten my call sign after I have established contact with ATC, I am planning on just saying "RV-Seven-Delta." We'll see if that works. Plus the overall N-number is short.

Dan Checkoway cued me up to the fact that you don't have to use two alpha characters at the end of an N-number.

Yah I know the rules, thats why I have been thinking about what I am going to register. Haha Hmmm who knows! already tested one out but found some crappy old multi Cessna has it! (Don't yah hate it when that happens!) :mad:

I have mine reserved. :)

Some Australian golfer has the number I originally wanted on his G-V. :rolleyes:

Keep checking monthly.

As planes get exported their N numbers get thrown back into the pot. The one I have now was on two previous planes.

If I read the 3 year re-registration bit correctly any "bad" N numbers will be available for re-use after 13 months of expiration in the quarter by quarter renew cycle.

Keep checking...:)

We couldn't get DT because someone else had it ....:(
so, we used LK our initials for our Hawaiian names...:)

Keep checking monthly.

As planes get exported their N numbers get thrown back into the pot. The one I have now was on two previous planes.

If I read the 3 year re-registration bit correctly any "bad" N numbers will be available for re-use after 13 months of expiration in the quarter by quarter renew cycle.

Keep checking...:)

Don't I wish...there's one I would have liked to have had, but...

they don't become available for FIVE YEARS after the registration gets cancelled.

Don't I wish...there's one I would have liked to have had, but...

they don't become available for FIVE YEARS after the registration gets cancelled.

Correct, I misread the one year bit.

But, I don't think that applies to numbers on exported planes... the FAA calls these "Deregistered Aircraft" not cancelled/revoked numbers.

I guess you didn't look hard enough. Here are 629 "N" numbers that end with DT.

The numbers had to be 808 ...
The day we met and the area code for Hawaii ;)

...and these three short numbers...
54DT
62DT
63DT
Nice and short ... but don't mean anything to us....
Once we locked into 808 we started looking of other letters that meant something....
Our Hawaiian initials fit our style and the paint...

402895_2259626149553_1815404087_1504976_951779388_n.jpg

Last edited:
I let my wife pick mine. She made sure I would always remember she came first and last! :)

So...I could not use my initials either. ;)

Last edited:
I didn't think of using my initials, rather, I wanted something that was easy to say (fewer syllables) and included R, V, and 9. Though Ro-mee-oh and Vic-tor add up to 5 syllables and it would have been easy to get two letters with a total of 2 or 3 syllables.

I used DG (My name Don, wife is Geneda). Makes only three syllables and much easier to say and understand than my own initials DS. Works for me.

Last edited:
I learned my lesson with initials, and now I use all numbers 1601...... easy to say, easy to hear and easy to punch in at the pumps.