N674P

Well Known Member
Hi! I'm a newbie that would like to hear from anyone that has converted a -6 tail to a -7. I have a complete, unstarted -6 empenage from 1997 (thinskin), requiring about $550 in parts from Van's to go the -7 route, which I'm considering. Or is this a bag of worms and I'd be better off selling the -6 kit and getting a fresh -7 emp? Thanks in advance for any input!

Aside from anything else, it sounds like it'd be almost the same price to sell the -6 emp, and buy a new 7 emp than to try and salvage the 6. You can probably get a pretty decent price for the 6-emp.

About $900 for the complete and untouched -6 empenage would make the -6 for -7 trade a wash. I will consider offers. Maybe a good deal for a completed 6/6A with major tail damage? I don't know what the individual parts would add up to from Van's...

Is this is older -6 tail with the non-counterbalanced rudder, or is it the later -6 tail with the "RV-8" tail and counterbalanced rudder? '97 was about the time they switched from the older to the newer style, IIRC.

Alas, it is not a counterbalanced rudder. And it has the thin skins. I guess this would be considered an OLD old kit...

If it is the old style, you're probably much better of just buying a new tail kit. However, it may be of use to someone with an older -6 in need of a new tail.

I'm converting...

Thanks all for the public and private input. Sounds like with a virgin -6 kit the parts Van's recomends are enough to make it a real -7, though without the powder coating and extra "foolproofing" of -7, -8, -9, & -10 kits.
Expense over and above comes when the kit has been started and needs to be taken apart some, and brain farts.
I could just go with the 6, which when built properly is an excellent airplane. But..I'm willing to pay a few thousand more for the "confidence" (and completed wing spar) that's built into the -7. So I'm gonna go the conversion route and "save" a good chunk of change right off the top! As a bonus, it fits the N number I recently reserved - 6 converted to 7 for Papa
Thanks again!