jrvssgl

Well Known Member
Can anyone fill me in to the results of the update on their MT Prop Governor from a B model? Does the governor perform properly or not with the update. Past posts have indicated that some are still not satisfied. Is this true or not. I have a hard time thinking of replacing a 1500 dollar item if I can fix this one for under 200.

I had a "C" revision that was upgraded to an "F" late last summer (and they did it at no charge). The surging problem was totally eliminated.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

MT Governor Update

Well, he has stayed off the national news for like 3-4 months, that makes me happy;)

Hans

What is wrong with it??

What's this with an updated MT-governor? I got my governor from Vans with the FWF-kit (I have not yet checked the serial Nr.) and I am not flying yet. Does it need to go back to Vans? That would be a real pain because of VAT, import duties and the like.

Regards, Tonny.

Tony, some time ago there were a lot of reports of the -B governors surging. MT's position was that if I had a problem or was unhappy they would swap it. I then decided to do a first flight with a possibly surging governor was just one more presure on me, and asked MT if they would upgrade it anyway. They did to an -F and it works fine.

I bought it from VANS because of the exchange rate at the time, but in Europe MT are more than happy to just deal direct with warranty items. I would just phone/email Martin Albrecht at MT and work it out directly with him.

Hope that helps clarify.

MT Governor and WW200RV prop

I have some more information to add to this old thread:

Just spoke with Kevin at American Propeller regards the pressure requirements of the Whirlwind 200RV prop. Someone told me the 200RV needs higher than standard pressure, and Kevin did confirm that on the call.

The 200RV needs 425 to 450 psi to operate correctly, and Kevin looked it up just to be sure. Pressure is used to increase pitch in this hub. Apparently, 450 psi is higher than standard and higher than the MT is set for out of the box. He advised to have the governor set for the high end of the range, 450 psi.

On another call to MT USA, Dave told me they'd update my governor (model P-420-3) to the latest "F" designation for the labor cost only. He quoted that at 2 hours, or $120 bucks. There are parts that get changed in the governor as part of the update. They also will adjust the pressure up to the 450 the 200RV prop requires.

I asked Dave about the surging problem - why was it happening. He said the "pilot valve wasn't settling correctly", so that's MT's explanation of the surging issue. I know there have been reports of the P-420-3's not holding RPM real well even after the update, but Dave told me this would definitely fix the problem. We'll see...

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one - I paid over a Grand to pry this off the shelf from Van.

Last edited:
"F" update fixed mine.

I had a surging problem @ high rpm (take off). The update fixed the problem, that was over 100hrs ago. IO 360 and Hartzell blended airfoil.

MT fixed the problem at N.C.

David

No, no, no...... it should work with the 200RV as it is, right!!??

Oh man,.......... I checked my governor and it already has the "F" suffics. So I was happy with that. But now, what? it needs to be upgraded to work with my 200RV Propeller???? Somebody tell me "not"!

When I add up all the agro I had with this propeller so far (and I am not even flying yet) it must be a very good propeller to make it worth my while!

Regards, Tonny.

MT governor works just fine with the Whirlwind 200RV prop... I flew it just a few weeks ago and did not experience any problems...

Some of this info seems just a bit "fishy" to me... don't discount the seller's best interests when trying to figure out what "works" and what doesn't.

I see my old thread is still alive and kickin so I will leave a quick comment. I did send my MT Gov back to MT Service center for the upgrade. I have flown it about 10 hours since the update and I am very pleased. The RPM's stay steady and there are no more surging issues at all, also it responds very quickly to an increase in MAP. Very pleased. WHen I first phoned they told me that it would cost a little to fix as well. Once they received it they informed me that it would be fixed under warranty, at no cost to me.

Long ago now, I also got the "F" update as warranty service (no cost). It was definitely better, but not rock solid in the surging department in my application on an O320 with a Hartzell C/S prop. I abandoned it for a PCU-5000 and have been very happy ever since.

Some of this info seems just a bit "fishy" to me... don't discount the seller's best interests when trying to figure out what "works" and what doesn't.

Governor was purchased from Vans Aircraft.

Propeller was purchased via the group buy here on VAF.

Nobody's arm got twisted in this deal, it was just an unknown design flaw in the MT. MT is doing the "F" upgrade at zero parts cost, and very little labor.

That's positive!

MT governor works just fine with the Whirlwind 200RV prop... I flew it just a few weeks ago and did not experience any problems...

OK, that is good news, I am sleeping a little better again now.

Thanks.

Regards, Tonny.

After suffering surges with a 'B' model I got mine updated for free and it's been fine ever since.

Peter

Just recently made my first flight. The prop governer was purchased from Vans two years ago. MT P-860-4. By the fourth flight there was noticible surging on takeoff -- around 100-200 RPM. Wasn't aware of the issue but was advised by a friend who knew about it to call MT with the serial number. Mine was a XXXXXX-E. MT said anything -E or prior was a problem but ONLY with the Hartzell blended airfoil prop / Lycoming combination. MT upgraded it to a -F within 48 hours at no charge. Anyone who purchased a FWF kit around 2 years ago or earlier should take a look at the S/N. If it is a -E or lower it should be sent to MT for the later revision ---- XXXXXX-F.