It varies between FSDOs. Some accept the time, others don't. Talk to your local FSDO.

I went to a forum at Osh this year on "Obtaining Your AP". Since I already built one plane and am on #2, retired with lots of time, I figured it would be pretty easy to get one and save a little money working on my C-152. Not so. All kinds of hoops to go through and you still need to get the IA rating to be able to sign off on the things important. Unless I was going to do it for a living and carry lots of liability insurance, it made little sense for me but attending the forum did put the idea to rest. When the RV-10 is done, I will get the repairmans certificate for that plane, sell the C-152, and be done with paying someone else to do the annuals and repairs.

Just for information...

All kinds of hoops to go through and you still need to get the IA rating to be able to sign off on the things important.
The IA rating is not required anywhere in the "Experimental" or "Light-Sport" world.

It varies between FSDOs. Some accept the time, others don't. Talk to your local FSDO.

According to the forum at OSH last year, and according to FAA Order 8900.1, volume 5, it doesn't appear at first reading that a FSDO has the authority to refuse to evaluate homebuilt time. I wonder if there are examples of FSDOs (as opposed to rogue FSDO employees) that refuse homebuilt time.

5-1135 (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=47F494208E435E058525734F00766677) says "5-1135 EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS. Section 65.77 requires the applicant to have documented practical experience in maintaining airframes and/or powerplants. At least 18 months of practical experience is required for the appropriate rating requested. For a certificate with both ratings, the requirement is for at least 30 months experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both ratings..."

"A. The practical experience must provide the applicant with basic knowledge of and skills with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment used in aircraft construction, alteration, maintenance, and inspection."

"work as an airframe or powerplant mechanic or work on an experimental amateur-built aircraft will be evaluated on its own merits to determine whether it fulfills the experience requirements"

Last edited:
I also attended that forum at OSH. I was the guy who asked the question about "already have the Repairman Cert for the RV I recently built and how far along the A&P application process would that put me?"
His answer had several parts:
1. How extensive is your build documentation? Shoe boxes of photos, dated receipts for items purchased, Tech Counselor reports, detailed and dated build logbook entries. Remember, the Fed believes in documentation.
2. RVs are metal airplanes. You'll still need tube and fabric and wood experience. He suggested recovering fabric wings at a restoration shop under the guidance of an A&P. Again, documentation.
3. Did you buy a Lyc from Vans or overhaul your own Ebay special?

That form you used to apply for the Repairman Certificate is the same one used to apply for the various A&P tests except it won't be mostly blank on the back side. It's a daunting task but not impossible. The biggest stumbling block is the lack of useable and appropriate supporting evidence.

Its completely up to the FSDO maintenance inspector whom which you're dealing with, and you have to prove to him you have had experience. I had practical experience under my belt, while in college I worked for an A&P/IA part-time, but I also cited the time building my RV-6. The inspector is ultimately the guy that puts the signature on the 8610. Just because you may not have time doing things like fabric covering, or working on turbines, will not disqualify you. They sign guys off coming out of the military that all they did was overhaul gearboxes at a depot and have no civilian experience whatsoever. The three writtens, and a 16-hour oral/practical exam will determine what you know, and its up to the DME in what areas he wants to test you (as far as the practical goes). The FSDO Inspector's signature just gets you started in the process.

Last edited:
And just to make you aware; The interviewing Feds have been known to use somewhat "trickery" questions. If you know the answer, great. If you don't know the answer, DON'T try to "snow" the guy. It won't work.

Just got my A&P

I did not know what to say when the FSDO guy commented: "you know, your work on experimentals does not count - work has to be on certificated aircraft"!

Fortunately, I had 50 years of documented work on certificated aircraft and a great recommendation from IAs and A&Ps, but it was a pain, overall. Having fun with the A&P, though! Because I do the work on a friends RV-8A and RV-10 (first flight tomorrow), I get to fly them!

I did not know what to say when the FSDO guy commented: "you know, your work on experimentals does not count - work has to be on certificated aircraft"!

This is the way it was in the early '70s when I got mine.
I was told at that time that the reason that amateur-building didn't count is because it's not done to a "type certificate". Many FSDOs have gotten more lenient in recent years.

I didn't write it down, but the guy presenting the forum at OSH quoted the FAR chapter and verse where the reg specifies work on an Experimental does count toward the 3000 hours of experience.
On a related note, I just read an article where a guy would "shop FSDOs" to get a 337 approved. It sounds like a builder would have to do the same thing to convince an inspector to endorse the A&P application.