Oroyo

I need to know what rivets are used to bond the two angle aluminum bars to the skin on the side. I’m doubling the mechanism on the other side. Better yet, if anyone would be willing to send me a few I’d be very grateful. I don’t need a whole lb.

I need to know what rivets are used to bond the two angle aluminum bars to the skin on the side. I’m doubling the mechanism on the other side. Better yet, if anyone would be willing to send me a few I’d be very grateful. I don’t need a whole lb.
If you are doing work on an RV, you should have the plans to reference for any work you might do.
If you have notified vans that you are the owner, you should be able to make a user account on the web store, and once you have done that you can get access to the digital files of all the plans for your airplane
As for rivets, you can buy them in fractions of a pound. I think on vans web store you could purchase a .01 pound quantity.

Yes, what Scott said about having the plans.

But, to answer your question, the rivets called out on the drawing are AN426AD 3-4. Those are flush rivets, 3/32" diameter, 4/16" long. Rivet length math says those are the right length. 1/32" short. AN426AD 3-4.5 (4.5/16" long) is what should be used in this case.

Van's and Aircraft Spruce sell both sizes in fractions of a pound.

Edit:
Oops....I really need to learn to check my work. 😒

Try it again. The outside skin is 1/32" thick. The angle is 1/16 (ie: 2/32" thick). Added rivet length for bucking/squeezing is 1.5 X rivet diameter, or 4.5/32". Add it all up totals to 7.5/32" (or 3.75/16").......all of which means a -4 rivet length is just about right. It is .015" shorter less than a 3-4 rivet length.

Now you know why I always checked things with a rivet gauge after doing rivet math.

Last edited: