mark manda

Well Known Member
anybody out there running these? I'd like to hear how your experiences are.

I need a installation support group before I go mental. Everytime I make an adjustment something else binds up or gets out of alignment.

thanks, mark

Hang in there Mark

I never even heard of the outfit or the steps before but I'm sure you will go mental in the good way and figure out a solution. A friend of mine is building a Pulsar and he designed his own retractable steps (he's a 75 year old retired mechanical engineer) and they work very well so it is doable. When you work it out I hope you get the performance gains you are looking for.

Bob Axsom

Newsletter story

The retractable steps I mentioned earlier are shown and described in the March 2005 newsletter from EAA Chapter 732. It is available on line at http://www.eaa732.org. Once at the site click on "newsletters" and on the next screen click on the March 2005 edition. Barry West wrote up his retractable steps and includes several photos that may be of some help.

Bob Axsom

I gave up after clipping my cables a bit too much, and the wire thingies were flopping along the side rail and then I talked to a guy that said, "you really want them to be manual..." which meant installing extra rails.

but that article helps me realize that bungee might work for me.

I keep thinking of a rachet with cable and Tee handle or a gizmo like a yo yo.

I've got steps that I can duct tape in the "Cool" up position at airshows.

thx

edit-- it just came to me. after I get in and buckle up-- you'll come over a duct tape them up for me-- right? :)

127060069fi.jpg

Last edited:
Is this what you are talking about? I saw these at Sun-N-Fun. I think the plane is from a company called "Possum Works" ???

SUNNFUN%20024s.jpg

Cool, clever looks well designed but what do you get?

I looked at that a while back and their site shows good detail. It looks like a very clever design. My question is what do you gain by adding this option?

Pros are, you save drag (worth, 1/2, 1 mph drag?), step still sticks out. It's pretty trick and should be reliable, requiring little or maintenance.

Cons are cost, weight to build time and small loss of baggage space.

Is 1 mph worth the cons? Maybe is saves more drag. Any estimate on drag saving? George

1.5 mph each. but that's not the reason i bought these in sept. of 2003.

A EAA chapter pres.--an RV-4 driver walked into my shop-- picked one up and said, "You want these on your plane? It looks like an appendage hanging off of a donkey."

I've never wanted steps since then.

Site doesn't show the gizmo shaft that flops along the side rail and looks like something out of George Jetson.

I'm gonna make them work somehow.

thx for support.