Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Brother builders,

My building buddy, Sam Beale (Old Sam on the VAF net) and I are scratching our heads on this one. The plans tell us to drill out our nose gear brackets (U713C) to 21/32nds. A quick check with Vans told us that we really need to use that size hole, not the easier to produce 11/16ths.

For cryin our loud, who has a 21/32 drill bit? I feel certain that we will only drill out a grand total of 4 holes with such a tool. We are too cheap to spend $40+ for a paperweight that will generate 4 holes and then go into retirement.

Is there anyone out there who will rent/lend such an implement to these humble servants? We promise to deploy said bit to produce the aforesaid 4 holes and then send it back to you all polished up and smelling nice.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Steve & Sam

Last edited:
Might try looking for an adjustable reamer--------or even a 21/32 piloted reamer.

Got one.

Steve if you can't find one quick locally I'd be happy to mail mine down to you. I'm up in Upstate NY so if I mail it tomorrow you would probably would have it by Monday or Tuesday. If you get back to me right away I may be able to get it in the mail today. PM me if interested.

Did mine today with a step drill

Yes, it is (slightly) oversize, but using the 616 washer as the "fit" template, the fit is close enough ---- hardest part is cutting the notch perfectly parallel, but everything fit great. Now, the hard part -- fitting the fairing to the brackets and installing the nutplates.

EDIT: -Just my luck! ----- got the brackets fittings just right, drilled out the existing brackets on my fairing ----- apparently the brackets are for newer (i.e. WIDER) fairings --- my existing fairing is about an inch or so too narrow and fiberglas just will not stretch that much. Oh, well, the rivets attaching the old brackets were starting to pull through and needed replacing --- just used cs screws, tinnermans and loc-nuts.

Back to flying!

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help!

And a special thanks for the offer to ship me a loaner from NY. Sam and I decided to buy one of the cheapies from Amazon.
Cheers,