snoop9erdog

Well Known Member
All,

Wondering if anybody has installed this powerplant in any of the models?

These are the engines installed in the newer C-172N/S models.

Any input appreciated.

Ed

The IO-360-L2A isn't capable of constant speed operation. So if you are into a fixed pitch installation it should work fine. It is a dynafocal one, vertical sump 180 HP@ 2700RPM engine. It also has a alternate rating of 160HP @t 2400 RPM.
It has two vacuum pump drives, either of which can be removed or blocked off with cover plates. So if you really break it down from a use standpoint, the L2A engine won't offer any obstacles or differences then running any other vertical sump parallel valve 180HP engine like the IO-360B1B that is in common RV use, except it can't do constant speed.
In short, go for it, if fixed pitch is in your future!
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thanks Mahlon. I didn't think that there would be a problem with the setup because I couldn't think of one, just wanted to confirm it. Good info.

Although, I've taken a look at the parts catalog and I believe the crank is hollow and have been told that one could modify to constant speed by installing a govenor drive gear and govenor drive adapter along with placing the plug on the crank. Is this not correct? The new 172's with this model are setup as fixed pitch.

I don't think FP would be a deal breaker, but it might be nice to eventually go to CS:)