kstone

Went out for second solo flight in my new (to me) -7A this morning. Canopy wouldn't open, looked inside and the turn handle latch had obviously turned when I last closed it and latched the canopy shut. It's fully latched, handle is perfectly perpendicular to the canopy. It's a tilt canopy and the only solution I see is drilling a hole somewhere in the plexiglass large enough to get a wire hanger or something similar in to push the latch open.
If anyone has a better idea, please let me know. If drilling the hole is the only solution, ideas on where to drill (I'm thinking in the back, fixed part of the canopy) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Try pushing a stiff rod through the the NCAA vent tube. If it works post a video of your finger finesse getting it open
Good luck

Funny and sad. How did it get that way? Is so loose as to rotate with gravity? Do that backwards??

You are not the first. I searched ( learn this too) and found a couple. One used a long wire in the side handle slot, one discussed from the front vent, and one talked about a custom slim-jim.

Good luck, might be easier knowing how it happened and reverse the process.

:eek:

Edit: I just looked, I think the handle slot would be my first try, but be careful of flailing wire. The second would be the gap between the canopy and side rail. Just take care not to damage the side skirts on the canopy. A wooden wedge, a short length of 1/4 poly tubing and insert the wire inside the tube to protect the paint. Just dreaming - good luck.

Last edited:
Question: do you pull down on the lever before it will turn fwd and aft and lock the canopy or do you just turn it. Mine is spring loaded, you must pull down on it before it will turn. My buddy also has a 7A and his will just rotate without pulling down. At Oshkosh this year the light vibration from the wind blowing is what we believe made his turn and lock the canopy. To unlock it we lightly tapped on the canopy close to the latch creating more vibration and it slowly turned 180 degrees and we opened the canopy.

Thanks for everyone's input and yes it is both funny and sad! The latch is not spring loaded, that would have been a nice feature to have and one I will add after I get the thing open. A wire in The push handle slot sounds like the best chance without doing damage, but if I do have to drill the plexiglass, any suggestions where the best location would be to drill?

How does the spring loaded design work when you are using the lock in "taxi mode" Seems it would take two hands move it parallel to get the thing fully closed.

Thanks.

Not to put the cart before the horse. But I personally would not think about drilling into the canopy until I had exhausted all other options. Good Luck. Keep us informed.

Same same

I had the same thing happen, I shimmed it and got it open. I will tighten mine up so that can't happen. I'm not really sure what purpose it really serves, safety latch? The main latch does a good job on it's own and it has two latches. You'd have to open it by accident in flight and I bet it would go about 6" up and stay put.

-Bruce

I...... I'm not really sure what purpose it really serves, safety latch? ....
-Bruce

I think it's for allowing the canopy to be lowered with the latch on top of the roll bar for some ventilation while taxying...

I just built my safety handle yesterday. The book says its purpose is multiple. The primary purpose is as a handle to close and open the canopy. It also acts as a low speed safety latch that will hold the canopy down if the side latch is forgotten. It can also be used to prop the canopy open a bit for taxi ventilation.

I have a thought, might not work at all, but here it is. The handle is not symmetrical, one of the "arms" is longer than the other. If the handle turned easily to lock, you might be able to get gravity to help if you lift one side of the plane. Maybe it will rotate. Of course lifting the plane may be difficult to do, it would be for mine and that's without wings or an engine.

I read about others having this problem back when I was building. An offered solution to the "freely rotating handle" was to put a warped washer in the assembly. I did that and it prevents the handle from turning unless you pull down on it. Should be easy to retrofit so you don't have this problem again.

In my first quick read I thought you were inside when this happened and must be on your phone looking for fast responses. :D

I had this happen and fortunately the fuel guy had a coat hanger and after trying several ways I went under the canopy at the rear edge while someone held it open, maybe a 1/2 inch and hooked the handle and or pushed it enough to clear the roll bar. I have since drilled a 3/16 hole through the canopy right above the latch shaft, installed a heavier cotter pin in the shaft, spread it little so I can put a pocket screw driver through the top and turn the latch. A small plastic snap in plug takes care of the hole. I have not had to use it since but I won?t have a heart attach if the latch turns again. I carry the screw driver inside the oil door taped to the engine mount. Good for the peace of mind. Larry

Here is my version of the spring loaded handle.

14944719394c5f58ccd58ff.jpg

Does the handle move easily without drag? How about using one of those compressed air cans used to blow dust off of electronics, with the long thin red nozzle attached. Get that nozzle down in there and give it a shot to rotate the handle.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I've been out of town and haven't had a chance to try them out but will let you know what happens.

Oh, and to the guy that thought I had locked myself in the plane. I'm bald, not blonde!!

Got it!! Used a combination of suggestions from replies here. Went through the slot for the canopy latch with a coat hangar. Was able to pull the safety handle almost free, but not quite. Then used the lift handle to giggle the canopy (vigorously) for about five minutes until it freed. Thanks again to all who responded and stopped me from drilling into the plexiglass.
Still have no idea how that could have happened. The safety latch handle isn't spring loaded but is very stiff to turn and needs to be pulled downward to fully latch. Maybe I just wasn't supposed to fly that day!