Well, the search for the right project continues. I'm still really wanting to build an -8, but I'm evaluating other options too.

Obviously there are two different (and opposite) missions that we are interested in: sporty fun with cross country potential or a family hauler with cross country potential. Certainly we will need to narrow down the mission, but, just looking for opinions.

The sporty fun is relatively easy. I want an -8, she'd rather have the -7 (her opinion based only on the RV intro video, we hope to go to OSH this year for a close up).

The family hauler is a bit more questionable. Cost is a very large factor for us here. The -10 would be great. We would have great builder support, known quantity, and the list goes on for the -10 (but I don't think I could afford it). I've looked at the Cozy IV for several years, but working with composites and being restricted to paved runways (and a white plane among other reasons) seem to turn me away from it. The Zodiak CH 604 seems interesting, but maybe a little to blah for me. So, lately, the Barrows Bearhawk has been getting some of my attention.

With 1000 plus plans sold, surely there are some RVers that have looked if not built a Bearhawk. Some of the things I like: four place with baggage, nice looking, able to accept a wide variety of engines (180-260 hp), cost if doing by plans. Things I am concerned about: first time builder building from scratch (yes I know they sell a kit but I think I'd opt for the scratch build to save $$$ for engine and avionics) and builder assistance (can't match the RV community yet.

If we did a four place, most of our flying would be off of paved strips with adequate runway length. I would like to retain the ability to go off road though as I plan to at times. So, I don't have to have the STOL performance that the Bearhawk is famous for but would like the grass runway usability. Also, I want to equip for "light" IFR (basically, VFR, but want to punch through a cloud layer to get to cruise etc...). Right now, for a new engine, a 200 hp with MAYBE a constant speed prop is about all I can afford (and that's the high line) so cost and engine is a factor.

Anyone with Bearhawk knowledge, how easy is it to remove the back seats if needed for additional cargo? Also, will full sized adults fit in the rear seats comfortably? What are your thoughts on the aircraft? Would you be concerned for someone building for the first time to scratch build?

Basically, looking to see if I should be looking at any other aircraft or if I have narrowed down my search well for what I am wanting to do.

All thoughts appreciated.

Personally I think the only answer is to build both. The -8 and the Bearhawk, that is :)

I would sudgest Eric Newton's site. He has built an RV and a scratch built Bearhawk. http://mybearhawk.com/
I have bought a set of Patrol plans. Feeling the need for a high wing big wheel airplane. Considering building one in the future.

There is a guy in Reno who is a RV builder, and has a Bearhawk that should be done by now.

I will PM you info to contact him.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that Daniel Craig has brought a much needed sense of reality and plausibility to the genre. The previous incumbents varied from the ridiculous to the formulaic. The influence and peer pressure of Bourne had obviously weighed heavily on the producers, however.......

Sorry, what were we talking about ?

Ahhh, yes.

My friend, the answer is simple.

Send the wifelet and family, apart from the eldest son and heir in the car or Winnebago. That way, they can get things - you know, ready for your magnificent arrival.

Then, you set off with the lad in a random direction, visit several airports en route, hopefully stay over somewhere and do - Dad & Lad things and then meet up with them the following day :D

It's so got to be an 8..........

Your son would never forgive you otherwise and don't forget - he will get to choose your care home :eek:

I went through the same considerations, B'hawk vs. RV- (7 in my case), and did this:

Kept the beefed up 172 as the dirt plane. Built a -7.

I've looked over other another's B'hawk he started after shelving the RV, and I can tell you the B'hawk is a lot more work and it will be a lot more expensive. You can buy and maintain a used 172 or 182 and enjoy building an airplane with performance that can't be bought from a factory. Owning those certified ships isn't terribly expensive if you find an AI who will "supervise" your maintenance work and sign your logs for a nominal fee. Sorry to see you live in tax-HE-double-LL Illinois. That may well be more of a financial concern than operating two airplanes.

If your wife's involved and sees the RV as something she would enjoy, build the -7. It has greater flexibility for the pilot/loadmaster than an -8, and it won't be just your toy.

John Siebold

which two? or 3?

The RV 7/8 are the correct first choices for easy build, fun to have & fly. I fly a RV8 'Borrowed Horse'

My choice in 2002, for a second airplane, was a North Star kit plane (Super Cub), Named 'Shooter', www.Customflightltd.com First flight 2004. After 620 hours & 6yrs flying to Idaho from Texas, too slow for long distance.......I bought a 1976 Cessna 180J 'Paul Revere'

Last summer we were able to camp all over the USA at 130 Knots speed, short field capibality. What a nice change from the 90Kn Cub.
I did not want to build again. I was 63, The Bear Hawk was my choice if I did build.
I really like my Cessna, I do all my own work and have a AI that signs the logs. We trade labor for signatures, he has built a RV8 and is building a RV6 now, I helped.

When a man came to buy 'Shooter' he offered less than my asking price, I was pleased and practly ran him out. I did not want to sell that plane,,,,, too much of me in it. My realitives will have to deal with it later.

It takes two planes to cover my flying missions a big camping machine and the RV8 for the shear pleasure of flying :):):)
Your milege may vary.

Last edited:
I looked at a really nice BearHawk in Albq. You gotta remember for the most part Van's kits are tab 'A' into slot 'B' type of construction. The Bearhawk doesn't even come close to that. The builder felt like there was a lot left to be desired in the plans.

I also have the Cozy MK IV plans and started that, but what I didn't like about composites was all on the MSD sheets. Ouch! Can you say hazardous? Although I still think about a Long at some point.

Van's has it down.

Bob

Bearhawk Patrol

I loved the Bearhawk and bought the patrol plans. But, then decided to go LSA for my retirement plane. That Patrol is a beast though. Love to have one, but with an RV-6 and a Vagabond, can't get into three planes again. Too costly.

49Clipper

I've built and have been flying my RV-8 since 2004. I'm starting a Bearhawk here in the next few months, but unfortunately I'm finishing building a new house and need to finish my kitchen cabinets before I can start the fun stuff.

Why the Bearhawk? Performance, construction (the wings are virtually identical to an RV), and a huge cargo door and bay. Oh, and my new place is on 50 acres and I'm putting in a 1300' grass strip. Originally I was going to build an RV-10, but once we bought the land and I saw I could put this strip in, I knew I needed to have an airplane I could keep at home and fly all year (skis in winter).

Now, if Van's were to develop a 185/Bearhawk type kit, I would fight to be first in line to buy one.

I'm on the Bearhawk yahoo group (there are several, one of which has a 1:10 Signal-to-Noise ratio) and have noticed there are a LOT of guys who have built an RV before that are building a Bearhawk now.

OK, enough OT Bearhawk talk. Sorry Doug...

Modest Suggestion

Build the RV-7, start right now. It'll take a while to build and you'll enjoy that construction process.

Buy a Cessna 180, an early one, and get excellent back-country performance, decent cruise speed and the opportunity to take the family flying immediately.

There are ample mods available for the 180 so that you can set up the aircraft as desired. Cessna still makes parts, if you should need some.

David Paule
1955 Cessna 180, not for sale