RV-6APilot

I'm New Here
N22NV, RV-6A, I fly a "steam gage" instrument qualified RV and use a Garmin 195 which is no longer supported with the latest software updates and am considering the ANYWHERE MAP PRO as the candidate replacement GPS system. Does any of the VAF crew have any experience with this unit? The entry and support costs are considerably less expensive than the Garmin 696/695 unit, and the features for instrument flying appear to be more useful. Appreciate any inputs prior to my dropping the credit card.
Thanks
Jim

Some people, I'm one of them, have an iPad with one of the GPS programs. I like the SkyCharts app and the Foreflight app, which I haven't tried, is also popular.

You'll want to get the iPad with the 3G capability, since that model also has the real GPS. You don't need a 3G data subscription to make it work.

The screen is excellent, except for being polarized, and it's great having a current Sectional chart that I can zoom in and out on very easily. The brightness was adequate in my Cessna 180 heading south.

Batter life on mine is about nine hours, with a three-hour recharge. There are 12 V power adapters which I haven't tried yet.

One thing I like is that when I double-tap on an airport, the airport data pops up.

Some people, I'm one of them, have an iPad with one of the GPS programs. I like the SkyCharts app and the Foreflight app, which I haven't tried, is also popular.

You'll want to get the iPad with the 3G capability, since that model also has the real GPS. You don't need a 3G data subscription to make it work.

The screen is excellent, except for being polarized, and it's great having a current Sectional chart that I can zoom in and out on very easily. The brightness was adequate in my Cessna 180 heading south.

Batter life on mine is about nine hours, with a three-hour recharge. There are 12 V power adapters which I haven't tried yet.

One thing I like is that when I double-tap on an airport, the airport data pops up.

How readable is the iPad in direct sunlight, such as the typical RV cockpit?

I have the Anywhere map running on their duo with approach plates and sectionals (ultrataws option). It flat works as advertised!! The situational awareness when IFR is an order of magnitude increase with the geo-referenced approach plates. Big confidence booster. I am very comfortable with the accurracy and reliability of the approach plate and sectional displays - nearly paperless cockpit!! (I still use the WAC charts as backup).

The amount of info is impressive, and all easy to "see" via screen taps or menu dropdown selection. You can get it all enroute quickly and without all of the "knobology" needed to pull info from typical GPS units (I have a Garmin GNC 300XL in the panel). Works fine for me in turbulence. there is some direct sunlight degradation but it's tolerable (everything has some).

This product is similar I suspect to seattle Avionics and Flight Prep at similar prices. The Ipad is worth a look, certainly.

I think Control Vision is a relatively stable vendor and they are dedicated to making a practical, robust aviation tool. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I have the ATC

The problem with all of Anywhere Map products is that they run on PDAs or laptops. The screens are just not very viewable in direct sunlight. There is no PDA, Ipad, or laptop screen that is meant to be seen in direct sunlight. The product works great otherwise.

I'll agree that screen visibility is the biggest drawback to AnywhereMap (I have it on a Samsung Q1), but I think an adequate shade could be fabricated. I have found an optical USB mouse on my leg easier to use than the stylus, and much easier to keep track of. A wireless mouse would be even better. This was my first "mobile" device, so I've enjoyed having internet access on the road without having to haul around a separate device. (iPhones/Pads are cutting into that advantage.;)) It's also handy for when updates become available in the middle of a long trip.

All that said, this system is more than I need for most of the flying I do, and I'd let it go for $2K. In addition to the Q1 Tablet, yoke mount, BlueTooth GPS, and AnywhereMap software, it includes XM Weather hardware and software, UltraTAWS, and PocketPlates. The unit was new in May 2009, and the only things missing are the two styluses (styli??).