RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've been searching through the forums and have read the past threads about Anywhere's ATC GPS system. Haven't really seen anything in a month or so about screen brightness and software upgrades lately.

I'm deciding on a backseat GPS and am interested in both the AV8or and the Anywhere ATC and was wondering how you folks that have had the Anywhere with latest software updates are liking the thing after running it a while.

I have a 496 with XM in front so won't be using the WX products, just looking for any good or bad about the ATC.

Bump

Nobody has anything good or bad to say about the Anywhere ATC unit, or the Av8or?
Still looking.

Thanks Sam

I've been through all that about the AV8or but there were some remarks several months ago about the Anywhere ATC box and I haven't seen any real follow ups on that box so I thought I'd see if anything new had cropped up that folks haven't written about.

av80r

It was a toss up between the two for me too. It seemed a few wiser folks here went bendix, and judging from the av80r posts compared to the atc, i guess people have voted with their wallets.

I dont have much to compare it to as i am a fairly new to this. I love it so far and the benefits of using it in my pick up all the time in auto mode so its not just sitting in a bag seems to make it a great deal to me over many of the other aviation only gps units.

Your mission might vary, but i am pretty happy.

ATC

I have an ATC that I got at OSH and its worked like a charm--best $495 I've ever spent. I've been flying with it in 172's ever since and visability has not been an issue. But I can see that in a bright cockpit like a -7 or -8 that it could be an issue. My only complaint is battery life is only a little over 2 hours with the screen turned up. So I built a battery pack to give me extra range as most of the rentals I fly either don't have a 12v recepticle or it doesn't work.

ATC

I have the ATC for the backseat passenger in our Rans S7S and the wife loves it,and she can operate it. It also has PRIVATE AIRPORTS which the other does not have.

love it

I bought my ATC at OSH last year. Yes, the early units did have some minor teething problems mostly due to poor documentation and users not RTFM. But after 2 major software revisions (free downloads, BTW), the ATC is a sweet GPS. Kudos to Control Vision's phone tech folk, too.

Steve

AnyWhere Map = Value

I'm not familiar with the ATC, but as far as AnyWhere Map (and Control Vision) are concerned, the value is tremendous. AnyWhere Map updates (database every month, FBO directory every day and SFRs every 4 hours) cost about $115 per YEAR.

The software has been developed/evolved over the past 10 years or so and, although one has not been needed recently, Control Vision updates the software regularly. I have run the software on my HP (IPAQ) HX4705 for the last 4 or 5 years with a bluetooth GPS and works great.

There are loads of other things you can do with your Control Vision software (planning, time tracking, check lists, etc., etc.) and/or device (ATC or PDA) that it makes the decision almost a "no brainer". Not more than $500 or $600 invested and you have an extremely flexible device (unlike dedicated aviation GPS's).

I always mention that it can also be used with MS FSX for practice prior to running a 'live' route. Let me know if you want more information - I'm pleased to share my good experience.

There were lengthy threads on the AOPA forums on both the AV80R and the ATC. Here is the link to get you to the forums. Use the search function to find the threads:

http://forums.aopa.org/index.php

One big thread there. You have to search with it as all one word, Anywheremap, otherwise you won't find them. The search function will not allow a three letter word such as map, so the thread titles have it all as one word.

Can you access the forums there if you do not belong to AOPA though?

There were lengthy threads on the AOPA forums on both the AV80R and the ATC. Here is the link to get you to the forums. Use the search function to find the threads:

http://forums.aopa.org/index.php

One big thread there. You have to search with it as all one word, Anywheremap, otherwise you won't find them. The search function will not allow a three letter word such as map, so the thread titles have it all as one word.

Can you access the forums there if you do not belong to AOPA though?

Here are two threads. The first one is several pages. The second one is more recent, and a guy who was highly critical in the first thread actually came to like it in the second thread. He talks about a very cool glidescope feature that really isn't very well documented.

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=44711&highlight=anywheremap

http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=51016&highlight=anywheremap