Flying again!

Well Known Member
I purchased an RV 10 and the tank was Sloshed. It is now peeling and I have looked at the older threads and it seems like some say get new tanks and others say cut access panels to the bays and use MEK to clean. Piper Cherokees have the same issue and there are companies such as Hartwig that drill out the rivets, dip the tanks, put them together again, pressure check and florescent dye check for leaks. This is for $880/tank plus shipping. This is better than another company that want $1800 plus the cost of the tank kit to build new ones.

Does anyone have experience having a company remove the slosh? I also am looking for someplace local in the DFW area. I found one but they need to look at the tanks to see what has to be done (Reliance AeroProducts in Mansfield Texas).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. At this point I am looking at all options as I am not sure I have the time to try and scrub it out with MEK and heard you may end up with leaks as well, plus it is a nasty job!

Thanks,

TJ

Bummer! All RV-10s were built well after the evils of slosh were long known/warned by Van's. It sounds like the fellow who built your plane made an expensive mistake.

TJ,
Give Jeff and Chuck at Hotel Whiskey Aviation a call. Based at AeroCountry (T31).
They've done quite a few.
They both fly for AA so give some time for a response in case they're on a trip.
972-347-2781

Bummer! All RV-10s were built well after the evils of slosh were long known/warned by Van's. It sounds like the fellow who built your plane made an expensive mistake.

Or was trying to stop a leak.......

Once the slosh is removed (man......wish you didn't have to mess with this....) make sure the tanks get a careful pressure test to insure there isn't a problem with them.

Thanks Mel for the contact info. I will give them a call.

The builder of my RV 10 built it after the RV6 he built in the 90's was crashed by another pilot. He may have thought that if Slosh was good for the RV6, then it must be good for the RV10. :confused:

Unfortunately the builder passed away several years ago so I'll never know....

Was there probable cause for the RV6 crash? Peeling slosh comes to mind as a possibility:eek:

I'm glad you caught the peeling slosh on the ground and are getting it taken care of. When you're getting the work done, it might be a good time to go through every inch of your fuel system to clean out any tiny bits of slosh or debris than may have migrated. Screens, hoses, filters, pumps, the works.

Jeremy

Last edited:
Good advice....I am due for the conditional now so at least the timing is good and I have an O-540 so not as susceptible as injected to stuff in the fuel.

So do lawn mowers run well on 100LL, have about 15 gal in the wings right now...:)