Toobuilder

Well Known Member
A search of this forum indicates that the last action cam comparison/shootout was back in 2011. As fast as this technology moves, they might as well be talking about Super 8mm film.

Anybody have a head to head PIREP on the latest crop of offerings?

I may have an opportunity on the current Gopro line, but if there's something better out there, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm hooked on the Replay XD series, especially the Mini. Smaller and lighter than either a GoPro (and especially a Virb) but still capturing full HD, it's far and away the best camera I've tried for a helmet mount.

Looking at the "industry" (non aviation centric) reviews, the Sony and Gopro are still at the top of the list. I'm not sure how much of our unique aviation environment changes things, but I can think of form factor (aerodynamics) and the prop filter (flying snakes) being two considerations.

A search of this forum indicates that the last action cam comparison/shootout was back in 2011. As fast as this technology moves, they might as well be talking about Super 8mm film.

Anybody have a head to head PIREP on the latest crop of offerings?

I may have an opportunity on the current Gopro line, but if there's something better out there, I'd like to hear about it.

Check out post #8 in this thread! Thanks, Allan...:D
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=115965

I've owned several gopro's from the original models all the way through the latest and greatest. But I got a Virb Elite aviation edition at OSH this year and wow - what a great and capable camera. With the built in LCD display, GPS and accelerometer, not to mention the great image quality and ability to control from the phone/tablet/Garmin Pilot... It's pretty awesome.

I just bought a GoPro and Virb. Anyone interested in buying a like-new GoPro? PM me if interested.

It says something, but not "all"...

One consumer test had a guy skydiving with about 12 different cameras bolted to his helmet. He used the same rig for mountain biking, motocross, hiking, surfing.. All tests done with 12 cameras seeing the same thing at the same time. The resulting video was analyzed for color, quality, battery life, stabilization, etc. A score sheet was developed and the cameras were ranked.

The tests I've seen typically show the Garmin product finishing mid pack - even if you focus only on the aviation centric features.

I suspect that the quality of these devices is so good now, that you're really just splitting hairs among the top contenders.

One consumer test had a guy skydiving with about 12 different cameras bolted to his helmet. He used the same rig for mountain biking, motocross, hiking, surfing.. All tests done with 12 cameras seeing the same thing at the same time.

I just want to see a photo of this guy with 12 cameras bolted to his helmet. And then maybe hold a caption contest. :)

I just want to see a photo of this guy with 12 cameras bolted to his helmet. And then maybe hold a caption contest. :)

action-cameras-mounted.jpg

amazing

I remember jumping with guys with a huge camera on their head and the recorder on their chest. Amazing how things have changed.