N999BT

Well Known Member
Patron
It is only 7 weeks until the Pappy Boyington Memorial Cup air race is held in beautiful Coeur d'Alene Idaho. The race is sanctioned by the Sport Air Racing League, and anyone with a pilot license can enter. You can even enter if you are a student and take your instructor along.

The course is a challenge to navigate, and in a fast RV you will have your hands full. The race is timed, with fastest airplanes taking off first, so very little passing. Its all about speed, efficiency, and good navigation. If you are interested, check out our website:

http://www.heritagewingscda.com/ and http://www.sportairrace.org/.

Trophies have been sponsored by Catto Propellor, and there is a fly in happening on the same day. We expect a B-17, B-25, and a corsair to be there from the civilian world, and an F-18, Harrier, Osprey, and other military airplanes. If you are in the Northwest or can be in the Northwest that weekend, plan to come. Better yet sign up for the race! See you there.

Oh, alright I'll give it a try sounds challenging

I worked on the start of the F-18 project when McDonnell was working with Northrop to convert the F-17 that lost to the General Dynamics F-16 in the low end AF competition into a carrier based low end fighter for the Navy. The high end competition winners were the F-15 and the F-14 respectively. Those were heady times around St. Louis with the F-4, F-15, F-18 and AV-8B all in work plus Skylab, Harpoon and subassemblies for the DC-9 and DC-10. I drove by the main building (it was called building 1 at the time) a few years ago and it looked abandoned. Oh sorry senior drift there - I'll be there Brent.

Bob Axsom

I hope to spend some more time talking to Red Hamilton

I hope to spend some more time talking to Red Hamilton at the Big Sky air race in Three Forks, Montana this Saturday - I can visualize Brian Carroll's eyes rolling. What can I say, the man got my attention with the 10:1 on an O-360 discussion. I need more power.

Bob Axsom

I hope to spend some more time talking to Red Hamilton at the Big Sky air race in Three Forks, Montana this Saturday - I can visualize Brian Carroll's eyes rolling. What can I say, the man got my attention with the 10:1 on an O-360 discussion. I need more power.

Bob Axsom

Not me, Bob. I enjoyed our lunch together. I want to talk to him also but about timing advance. There was a lot of Horsepower knowledge across the table from us that afternoon.

;)I'll bring my laptop on you guys can just go online and start ordering parts. :D

Current entry list 7-2-12

The following racers have registered for the
Pappy Boyington Memorial Cup as of 6 June, 2012:

Race # Name Aircraft Class

Race 79 Jim Robinson Glasair III "Fastglass" Sport

Race TF Brent Travis RV-4 RV Blue
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV-Blue
Race 155 Brian Carroll RV-7 "Aurora" RV Blue
Race 391 Jason Rovey RV-8 RV Blue

Race 37 Red Hamilton Witman Tailwind FX Red

Race 167 Team Tango Mooney 231 FAC3RG-T

Race 30 Don Otis AA-1A FAC5