Wiley

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with jetshades installation? I decided to give them a try. The website and instructions imply there in no cut-to-fit involved, but it appears some will be needed on receiving the shades. Before I cut, thought I would ask around. In their defense, I just received the shades today and of course it is Friday after 5:00. E mail sent but have not discussed it with them yet.

I ordered and received JetShades about a year ago for my RV-10. there was an issue with the shape of the rear shades so they sent me instructions on how to draw and cut a template on paper which I sent in (along with the original shades). They sent me replacement shades which worked well (i didn't have to cut the shades). There weren't enough of the correct type of attachment clips - they sent me more and I was finally able to get them installed. The installation process is quite simple once you have the right clips. The inside of the plane is now noticeably cooler in the summer so I am very happy with them. The attachment clips aren't exactly bulletproof but it's easy enough to put the sticky velcro strips back on. Customer service through the whole process was outstanding!

Cheers,

Vas

I've been thinking of buying them for flying here in Florida, but the cost is a hard pill to swallow. My iPad and GoPro don't last very long inside the oven. Are there any Oshkosh specials? đŸ˜¬

I've been thinking of buying them for flying here in Florida, but the cost is a hard pill to swallow. My iPad and GoPro don't last very long inside the oven. Are there any Oshkosh specials? đŸ˜¬
Serendipity! I received an email today from AOPA that advertised a 10% off special from Jet Shades:

JET SHADES
AOPA Members — use code AOPA10 for 10% off any Jet Shades package! Or visit us at Booth #4070 for exclusive OSH show specials.

Serendipity! I received an email today from AOPA that advertised a 10% off special from Jet Shades:

JET SHADES
AOPA Members — use code AOPA10 for 10% off any Jet Shades package! Or visit us at Booth #4070 for exclusive OSH show specials.
Thanks for the link!

Update:
I was informed that I received the right parts but trimming will be necessary. This is because of variability in different builds. I noted the Rv8 on the website has a slightly different canopy outline than mine. I used Vans canopy circa 2010. The plane on their website I assume used the aftermarket canopy that is/was available a number of years ago. Either way, there will be substantial trimming necessary. Enough that the back piece will not even fit against the canopy to measure. I will need to make a template and start cutting. Might as well have sold me a single square cheaper than a ‘custom cut’ option. The magnitude of this problem may be related to the rv8 canopy vs more traditional patterns, but definitely more installation than implied. Not sure I would have dropped 1 grand on them otherwise. The email suggested the ball is in my court as far as returns go. Kinda feel like in for a penny, in for a pound now.

Update:
I was informed that I received the right parts but trimming will be necessary. This is because of variability in different builds. I noted the Rv8 on the website has a slightly different canopy outline than mine. I used Vans canopy circa 2010. The plane on their website I assume used the aftermarket canopy that is/was available a number of years ago. Either way, there will be substantial trimming necessary. Enough that the back piece will not even fit against the canopy to measure. I will need to make a template and start cutting. Might as well have sold me a single square cheaper than a ‘custom cut’ option. The magnitude of this problem may be related to the rv8 canopy vs more traditional patterns, but definitely more installation than implied. Not sure I would have dropped 1 grand on them otherwise. The email suggested the ball is in my court as far as returns go. Kinda feel like in for a penny, in for a pound now.
That sucks; it seems to be a common theme that if things go wrong buyers are on their own.

There used to be "Todd's" canopy which were popular, also LP Aero. That would account for the shape difference. FWIW I asked for a sample ie a 1" square of the two different tints. I was told I could see it at the show. Surely there is scrap or leftover pieces from cutting that could be sent as a sample. That answer is why I will not drop a grand with them,