BuckWynd

Well Known Member
It's about time for me to commit to a prop choice. A while ago there were some rumblings and discussion about the Whirlwind 151. I haven't heard anything, positive or negative, in a long time, not even on the Yahoo Whirlwind forum. Usually, no news is good news.

So how about it? Are you -151 owners happy with your propeller, and with the company? Any issues I should know about?

Thanks in advance!

Happy camper!

I have a WW 151 which was retrofitted for the H blades just before I flew my plane last August and is now a 151-H. Other than needing to adjust the fine pitch stop a bit courser the prop has been flawless.

After a rocky start their first year, the Ohio folks seem to now "get it" and are providing superlative support in all cases that I'm aware of. Between Greg Andrews and Bill Koleno they will get any issues handled, and the props are simply beautiful.

The prop is light, smooth, and efficient. Be advised though that any 3-blade prop will cost more to ship back due to the huge box required. Any 2-blade can simply be UPS'd. Also note that with the 151 you'll need the governor that WW sells which has a higher pressure relief. More info on the installation in my RV-3B here. More info on some prop testing I did a few years ago here.

DSC_2017_800.jpg

Oh, almost forgot to mention, I see you're building an RV-8 -- the difference in the "feel" of the airplane due to the weight difference between the 151-H and a Hartzell is not subtle. With a Hartzell you should put your battery in back, with the WW I recommend just behind the firewall in the baggage compartment well.

Lovin my 151-H...

Last edited:
I have the 151 on my RV8. I love it. VERY responsive. No leaks. works great.
Al Grajek
RV8 LEX
859-361-9460

I have a 151 on my 7a. It is the smoothest prop that i have ever experienced in any airplane. I have an 0-360 engine. I believe that the factory does not recommend the 151 for the 0-360. (they did at the time i bought mine)

steve ciha

I have a 151 ony 8. It was one that had some grease spitting issues. Greg at Whirlwind has worked with me and it is now working great!

I really cannot say enough about the good support that Whirlwind has given me.

I know the two bladed Whirlwind 200RV is pretty popular as well, but the weight, looks, ground clearance etc still have me sold on the 151.

Thanks!

Thanks, gentlemen, for the responses. Glad to hear your props are going strong!

I'll be making my final choice pretty soon. (Actually, the decision willl be set in stone when I order the Finish kit from Vans next week. No Vans spinner for me, I guess :) )

GG and her 151 at 400 hours and counting

You are right, no news usually is good news and I think it applies here. Gladder?s Gal (GG) is still going strong with the 151. John Glader installed the prop over 400 hours ago and it had its 350 hour factory check up just before I purchased it.

I really like the light weight and ground clearance. Wheel landings on grass strips are no worries. If you forget about that runway light as you taxi away from the local Fly In (I saw a guy do this), the worst you will do is bang up the wheel pant. GG has a Dual battery, Dual Bus system and both batteries are forward of the firewall. The prop is very smooth, very responsive and no leaks. When it comes time for the next factory check up, I plan on flying her to Ohio for the work. Why put that money in shipping, when the same money could buy you round trip fuel and would be much more fun.

medium.jpg