edbundy

I need to make a couple of flights without the wheel pants for troubleshooting purposes. Are the wheel pant mounts strong enough to resist flight loads without the pants on?

Yes.

Have done it. The bad thing for my installation is that there will be a lot more drag and that creates more / higher engine temperatures at lower airspeeds.

I don't think there will be any issue with the mounting brackets. Gear leg fairings may be a different situation. I'm not that familiar with those on the -6, but I think Van's recommends removing them, at least the mains, for flight if not secured on the lower end by the wheelpant.

Gear leg fairings may be a different situation. I'm not that familiar with those on the -6, but I think Van's recommends removing them, at least the mains, for flight if not secured on the lower end by the wheelpant.
On my -6 the bottom of the leg fairing hinge pin is bent in a Z shape and the end secured to the leg with a hose clamp. I'm pretty sure that was per plans, though the -6A may be different. But if it is like that it seems like it shouldn't be an issue. I flew the first few hours on my -6 with the leg fairings on and wheel pants off, no problems.

I have a -9. I wouldn't think it's any different from the -6 but mine cracked after maybe 20 flt hours. Started feeling a high frequency vibration coming from the gear. Difference could be no gear leg fairings. Can't say for sure.
danny

I flew my RV-9A without wheel pants and mounting plates in place for almost a year while I refurbished them...no issues. Up here, it's common for pilots to remove wheel pants and not mounting brackets in the winter.

I need to make a couple of flights without the wheel pants for troubleshooting purposes. Are the wheel pant mounts strong enough to resist flight loads without the pants on?
My RV8 was flying for the first 14 hours without wheelpants and there are no problems with the bracket. However, I think the RV6 has a thinner gauge aluminum than the RV8