DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I picked this up at a garage sale today, appears to be an old military compass. Has no liquid but I suppose it used to have some. Anybody know what it is?
3328aqb.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like a standard old AirPath that was lighted at one time. But, someone disabled it and put a dab of potting compound over the hole for the light fixture. It could've come from just about anything.

C_2300_compass__11747.1364421975.1280.1280.jpg

Just take the plug out of the top and fill it with some Jack Daniels and you'll have a real whisky compass for that RV 12.

I've collected a few compasse and agree with the above suggestion. I have one that came out of the first Harrier built in the U.S.A. Doesn't look no different other than green, than the pic shown but hey, it was in a Harrier!

Aircraft Spruce sells a compass rebuild kit that includes fluid (kerosene?) a gasket, and a new compass correction card.
I serviced the Airpath compass in my T-18 when it started leaking, it was easy.
I think it had some instructions too, although it's not difficult.

Aircraft Spruce sells a compass rebuild kit that includes fluid (kerosene?) a gasket, and a new compass correction card.
Just ba careful, the gasket in that kit won't fit some of the older models originally produced for military use. I know, I had one. Couldn't get an answer from Airpath, couldn't find the right gasket anywhere. Kit's fairly cheap but the fluid is just mineral spirits, I think.

Years ago, while on a cross-country business trip in our Bonanza, we had our fuel tanks topped off while we scarfed down a hamburger at the airport cafe. Upon our return to the cockpit, we smelled the distinctive odor of kerosene. Our first thought was: D@#%, we were misfueled with Jet-A by line service!! Upon further investigation we found that our whiskey compass had sprung a leak in the hot sun and was bleeding the odorous kerosene. A quick scare, easily repaired. :p

you can also use johnsons clear baby oil. it will also dampen out the compass errors. :D

I topped mine off with baby oil when installing it. It was 2nd or 3rd hand or whatever. One day I was flying along a 11'500' and something was dripping on my leg! Took a while to figure it out, I was a bit freaked out. The smell of baby oil gave it away though. It quit when I descended. Guess I've calibrated the liquid level for 11,500, ha!

I have not had one apart, but looking at Aircraft Spruce repair kits, apparently there is a rubber membrane that allows the liquid to expand?

There are a few good threads on here dealing with the "how to" aspect of refilling a compass. The best tip I gleaned from those threads was to have sufficient fluid that you can submerge the compass completely to eliminate an air gap at the top of the compass.

BTW, since I operate in a cold climate, I used Varsol to fill the little gap left at the top of the compass - worked like a charm.