flyvans.com

Well Known Member
Does anybody know an IFR-approved RV (or other build as a matter of fact) that's based in Europe, yet not US registered?

Heard some rumours that it was possible in Sweden, but does somebody actually know of an example?
Netherlands, UK?
would be very interested in making contact.

kind regards,
bernie

There's no legal way to keep an N registered homebuilt permanently in Europe as authorisations to fly outside the US (except for Canada etc) are only granted for a fixed time period, usually to cover a single visit. As far as I know, European authorities will only grant a day/VFR authorisation.

The same goes for locally registered homebuilts. The permit to fly is issued with day/VFR limitations. There is some move and effort to extend these privileges to allow IFR possibly outside CAS or en-route only, but this has not yielded results as yet. I believe occasional one-off dispensations have been allowed for record attempt flights etc.

As far as I know, USA and Canada are the only countries that authorise homebuilts for IFR.

The EAD website allows access to the AIP and AICs for all European countries and you can usually find the specific requirements for each country.
I believe the UK requirements have moved to CAP 747 which can be accessed from the CAA web site.

The UK only recently removed the restriction on homebuilts flying over populated areas (you still must be able to glide clear after engine failure).

Last edited: