apatti

Well Known Member
Any news at Oshkosh from GRT? They were supposed to announce the ability to link an Android tablet via WiFi to their legacy EFIS's.

Any news at Oshkosh from GRT? They were supposed to announce the ability to link an Android tablet via WiFi to their legacy EFIS's.

As far as I know they can't sell the thing yet to link android to their new HXr yet. (I have an HXr waiting to ship to me from SteinAir right now).

Tony,

I asked if their Android based software would work with a Sport HS. The answer I received was they did not think it would work due to driver issues. However, they said it would work with e Sport SX.

Oh, well. I talked to them a couple of months ago and they said they would have the capability to link an Android table to an HX or HS system by Oshkosh. As the saying goes... there are lies, darn lies, statistics, and promised software release dates! :) BTW, I am not ragging on GRT. I used to do embedded system development and heard my share of comments from the marketing folks like "I told the customer we could add that feature. It is only a couple lines of code, right?"

I am fine with waiting on them to make the system as robust and bug-free as possible before releasing it. That is what they do and one of the reasons I went with GRT.

I didn't ask about it or play with it, but I saw it working as I was asking other questions. I was lead to believe it would be available in the future for the sport.

I have a GRT Horizon - am wondering if/when this display will support extension via an Android device. I e-mailed Carlos back in early June and got this response:
"The Android interface is still in development so I don't have much to share yet. More details to come..."

I'm wondering if anybody got any additional details on this topic at OSH? How does the interface work - does it use the one and only USB port on the Horizon? If not, how do we "expand" our current Horizon EFIS to include this functionality?

Any additional data that has been gleaned from in-person investigation at OSH would be tremendously appreciated.

GRT

I spent quite a bit of time with them. They had the new unit wired to an Android and it's function was impressive. They told me that it would work as a WiFi reception and support, I think, 3 devices. My understanding is that it is ready now.

I am waiting for a quote to put it together with the autopilot ($1750 with purchase of the unit) and a SL-30. Stein's had all of the units to compare and contrast them. I liked the GRT but there are few yet unfullfilled updates.....the mode S transponder with ADS-B and future approach certified GPS remote to the unit. The approach certified GPS is the thing that might get me to pull the trigger but they could not quote a price or definate update methods/costs.

Hopefully, that is some help.
John

John - thanks for that update. What I'm trying to figure out is what hardware bits and pieces are required to add the Android capability? Where does this fancy WiFi hotspot transceiver fit on the Horizon display? How does it tet its signalling into and out of the Horizon display?

It's these items I'm trying to get sorted out because my panel is nearly ready to install in the aircraft. If there are lots of wiring changes or fiddly stuff to be done behind the panel to make the Android tablet work then I'd much rather to that work while the panel is sitting on my workbench. Yes, even I am somewhat allergic to working upside down, jammed between sticks and rudder pedals... *grin*

John - thanks for that update. What I'm trying to figure out is what hardware bits and pieces are required to add the Android capability? Where does this fancy WiFi hotspot transceiver fit on the Horizon display? How does it tet its signalling into and out of the Horizon display?

It's these items I'm trying to get sorted out because my panel is nearly ready to install in the aircraft. If there are lots of wiring changes or fiddly stuff to be done behind the panel to make the Android tablet work then I'd much rather to that work while the panel is sitting on my workbench. Yes, even I am somewhat allergic to working upside down, jammed between sticks and rudder pedals... *grin*

We'll see, I'm about to start installing an HXr in my tipper -7, and I'd like to put this in at the same time. My guess is that it'll tie up a serial port or the USB port, but who knows. I think the cost will be critical too, if it's big $, it'll be a lot harder to justify for me than just a second small EFIS for backup.

Their literature makes it look like it operates independently of the HXr, at least for ADAHRS data, which would be great, making it a true backup (subject to either purchase of a second ADAHRS or failure of the ADAHRS) instead of just a screen extension.