Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After Garmin introduced the 696, they came out with a PFD which utilized the 696 features and chassis (the G3X). Does anyone have any info on when/if Garmin will do the same for the 796? Just asking.

No, but

I am watching for that too... seems like a logical progression, doesn't it?!

I was hoping to get some skinny from Mat Burch

How about it Mat? Any chance we will see a 796 PFD in our future?

From Air Gizmo

Subject: Garmin 796

Yes, we are finishing the design work on a new Panel Dock for the Garmin 795/796. The dimensions will be the same as for the 695/696 Panel Dock: 6.25" wide by 8" tall.

I estimate production will take about six weeks.

Just received my 796, pretty impressive, the touch screen is as clear and responsive as any that I have ever used, including the ipad

Richard

Subject: Garmin 796

Yes, we are finishing the design work on a new Panel Dock for the Garmin 795/796. The dimensions will be the same as for the 695/696 Panel Dock: 6.25" wide by 8" tall.

I estimate production will take about six weeks.

I've emailed AirGizmos twice in the last week asking for an update on pending availability of the 795/796 panel dock....but they have not bothered replying.

The post above indicated that the dock would be available mid december which is just a week away. I'm wondering if it's on schedule because I need to make decisions asap on my panel cutting requirements. Maybe Chino Tom can chime in.

I've emailed AirGizmos twice in the last week asking for an update on pending availability of the 795/796 panel dock....but they have not bothered replying.

The post above indicated that the dock would be available mid december which is just a week away. I'm wondering if it's on schedule because I need to make decisions asap on my panel cutting requirements. Maybe Chino Tom can chime in.

No updates from my earlier post. Even though they say the dimensions are the same as the 696 dock, I'm waiting to cut the hole in my new panel until
I have one or at least they publish the dimensions on their web site. The 796
has rounded corners and the on/off button is on top in the middle of the unit,
which will be interesting to see how they configure the dock so that the
power button can be used. The 796 is just shy of 8" tall and the dock
is indicated to be 6.25 X 8 like the 696.

797 PAnel Dock

Look at the 696 Panel Dock on the Air Gizmos site. When the 696 is seated in the Panel Dock, the power button on top is not accessible. However, the unit will turn on and off automatically if it is connected to external battery power, so wiring it to the avionics bus will give you easy on-off control. If that doesn't suit, then the rotating lock can be released and the 696 will tilt forward in the dock, giving you access to the on-off switch on top.

It sounds like the 796 Dock will have the same functionality.

No updates from my earlier post. Even though they say the dimensions are the same as the 696 dock, I'm waiting to cut the hole in my new panel until
I have one or at least they publish the dimensions on their web site. The 796
has rounded corners and the on/off button is on top in the middle of the unit,
which will be interesting to see how they configure the dock so that the
power button can be used. The 796 is just shy of 8" tall and the dock
is indicated to be 6.25 X 8 like the 696.

Tom, I just got off the phone from Max Probasco at AirGizmo and he says that the 796 panel dock is still in the tooling phase. They now expect to be supplying stock Jan 15 at best.

Tom, I just got off the phone from Max Probasco at AirGizmo and he says that the 796 panel dock is still in the tooling phase. They now expect to be supplying stock Jan 15 at best.

thanks for the update, if anyone else gets updates closer to jan 15, put em in here and save airgizmos the trouble of hearing from all of us

I'm in the process of upgrading my panel, and on the advice from the guys at SteinAir, I'm not using an airgizmo for the 796. The mount it comes with is very easy to adapt to panel mounting and makes for a very clean look.

pics

Last edited:
Wow Jon that looks great. I looked at a similiar set up but so far decided to
wait for the Air gizmo. Might just reconsider that. With your mount, you must
reach behing the panel to hit the release button. Not a big deal. Are you going
to use the exterior GPS antenna? Will the antenna connect to the unit with
your mounting set up (the gps antenna connection is on the side)?

Tom,
You are correct about the release button, very easy to use by reaching under the panel. I have an AP 74 and HS34 very close as you can see, and the antenna connection clears the minimal cutout just fine, both engaging and releasing with the antenna connected!

Tom,
You are correct about the release button, very easy to use by reaching under the panel. I have an AP 74 and HS34 very close as you can see, and the antenna connection clears the minimal cutout just fine, both engaging and releasing with the antenna connected!

I'm very impressed with your set-up Jon....very clean. Would it be possible to get a rear shot with the antenna and data cable installed so I can see what the clearance is like.

Max from AirGizmos was saying that they are installing a device in the new 795 panel dock so that the "On" button can be accessed without removing the 795 from the dock. He says that customers want to be able to access the button for easy dimming/brightening of the display (eg. for night flying).

Do you have any thoughts on that.

Bob,
Here you go!

The only connection you need to make, is the mini antenna on the left hand side. Everything else is connected via the "bare wire" connector attached to the fabricated panel mount angles.

Bob,
Here you go!

Jon, thank you very much for the pix....they were great.

How did you cut the panel to accomodate the 796. I'm guessing that if it wasn't cut very precisely then it wouldn't look good having uneven gaps around the sides. I'm imagining it to be a sizable job if done by hand given the 0.63 thickness of the aluminium.

Do you have any thoughts on the advantages (if any) of using the "on" button for adjusting the screen backlight intensity. My reading of the manual suggests that you can also adjust the screen backlight intensity through the touch-screen keys but you have to go down through the menu.

Also I notice that you have the external antenna. What model is that. Does it come with the 796 as standard or is it an optional extra.

Bob,
I worked with Paul Story at SteinAir on the design and then they cut the panel.
Call them, it wasn't very expensive and I was sick of cutting my own panels!
As for the power button, I just don't know, as I've been busy rebuilding a friends RV8 panel, and haven't had a chance to even play with my stuff!
The antenna is standard, The only extra was the bare wire kit (65 bucks).
Best regards,

Great monunting design

Very nice design! It is simple but efficient, and best of all it promotes better cooling than many other methods. Very well done! Thanks for sharing this and the pics.

A/P

Jon,

Am I correct in assuming the 796 will still drive the Dynon autopilot as the 496 does? Thanks.

How did you cut the panel to accomodate the 796. I'm guessing that if it wasn't cut very precisely then it wouldn't look good having uneven gaps around the sides. I'm imagining it to be a sizable job if done by hand given the 0.63 thickness of the aluminium.

I'm cutting panel my myself. It is not as difficult as you think. It won't match
the precision of Jon's water jetted panel from Stein, but still will look fine.
Cutting round holes is easy with hole saws or punches. Square cut outs
are not to difficult either. After accurately drawing the cut out on the panel,
drill holes at the corners and open them up with a unibit, using a steel strap
clamped to the surface, use a cutoff disk (thinnest you can get, 3/32?) and die grinder.
Using the steel strap as a guide, cut the straight line with the
cutoff disk pressed right against the strap. The odd shape of the 796 makes
the top and bottom more of a challange. I started with a course sanding drum,
then a fine drum and finally finishing up with a file. Should look better than OK
when its done next month (but probably not as nice as Jon's!)

244edl0.jpg

3501im8.jpg

nlztjt.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a little off-topic Jon, but what's the instrument just to the right of your ELT remote?

Bob,
I worked with Paul Story at SteinAir on the design and then they cut the panel.

Jon, your assistance is very appreciated. Incidentally, did SteinAir make the aluminium bracket as well...or just cut the panel hole.

Who determined the actual hole dimensions for the 795. Do you have a .dxf file of the dimensions.

Jamie,
It's a Trig transponder. Basically it's the control head for a remotely mounted Mode S box. The Skyview transponder is the same thing. It replaces my Zaon MRX and Garmin 327. Now I'll get traffic on my new 796!

Answering own questions

Jon, your assistance is very appreciated. Incidentally, did SteinAir make the aluminium bracket as well...or just cut the panel hole.

Who determined the actual hole dimensions for the 795. Do you have a .dxf file of the dimensions.

No response so I'll guess a couple of answers to my own questions. ;)

a) You fabricated the 796 aluminium bracket (not Stein).

b) Stein set up the .dxf file for cutting the 796 hole.

Bob,
Sorry for the late response! You are correct, Stein cut the panel and I made the bracket.
Regards,

Bob,
Sorry for the late response! You are correct, Stein cut the panel and I made the bracket.
Regards,

Jon, you've been tremendously helpful in that you've highlighted a very interesting alternative way to panel mount the 796. You've certainly got my attention.

May I just ask a couple more questions. I'm sure this will become a good archive reference for others:

a) Is the 796 firmly located in the panel hole when it is held by the dock...or does it tend to move around a bit when you use the touch screen.

b) Did the installation require any fabricated modification to the Garmin docking mechanism as used in your set-up.

Jon, you've been tremendously helpful in that you've highlighted a very interesting alternative way to panel mount the 796. You've certainly got my attention.

May I just ask a couple more questions. I'm sure this will become a good archive reference for others:

a) Is the 796 firmly located in the panel hole when it is held by the dock...or does it tend to move around a bit when you use the touch screen.

b) Did the installation require any fabricated modification to the Garmin docking mechanism as used in your set-up.
Bob,
Glad to help. I'll have a better handle on how it feels when I install the panel this week. I didn't have to modify the Garmin bracket at all. That bracket, along with the simple angle standoffs and .063 plate hold the 796 pretty rigid.
There is clearance around the perimeter of the unit, not sure how much. I'm now building harnesses so when I'm done with that I'll pop it back in and measure it if you want. I'm guessing maybe .025".

Bob,
Glad to help. I'll have a better handle on how it feels when I install the panel this week. I didn't have to modify the Garmin bracket at all. That bracket, along with the simple angle standoffs and .063 plate hold the 796 pretty rigid.
There is clearance around the perimeter of the unit, not sure how much. I'm now building harnesses so when I'm done with that I'll pop it back in and measure it if you want. I'm guessing maybe .025".

Yes, getting the clearance dimension would be good.

Bob,
I checked the clearance and it's about .005 to .008" around the perimeter.
It is also very firm and solid feeling in the mount while using the touchscreen.
Hope this helps.

Bob,
I checked the clearance and it's about .005 to .008" around the perimeter.
It is also very firm and solid feeling in the mount while using the touchscreen.
Hope this helps.

You've won ME over Jon....I'm going to give your scheme a go. Thanks for all the information...very helpful.

With Jon's installation (Post #14) as my inspiration I recently mounted a 795 (no MX weather in Australia) to replace my obsolete Lowrance GPS in my already flying 9A. The install was done without removing the instrument panel from the plane. I did not want to spread aluminium dust throughout the cockpit so I enlarged the hole with aviation snips and files and it initially did not turn out well. However some filler and repainting around the cut out and it now looks very acceptable.

I mounted the dock on two long pieces of 0.063 x 3/4" angle that are riveted to 0.063" aluminium angle pieces riveted to both the standard angle support at the top of the panel and to the flange at the bottom of the panel.

The four attachment screws in the dock are rubber mounted and there is some small movement if the GPS is pushed firmly but it does not seem to be an issue in flight as only a light touch is needed on the touch screen. If required I would glue a couple of dabs of silicone on to the long aluminium supports behind the GPS to prevent movement.

For anyone considering installing the 796/795 in the instrument panel be aware that you need at least an extra 0.1" more than the width of the dock on the RH side (looking from the cockpit) behind the panel to allow for the movement of the locking tab. The dock itself is about 5.510" wide plus about 0.01" on the right for the locking tab or about 5.610" total.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Here is my mount for the 796.

nl98oo.jpg

15wfdpw.jpg

And the outcome. I have a 1/16 plastic overlay over the panel. It is meant
to be engraved, but I just use a p-touch label machine. It is always more
work and more time than I think. I just replaced the 496 with a 796. :eek:

Before:
ar0ja.jpg

After: