rv9aviator

Well Known Member
Are there any of you out there that fly a Grumman Yankee? I am starting to fly an AA1-B and need some tips and advice. I am just trying to stay current while building in a somewhat similar plane. Please contact me off forum by private message so as not to clog up the RV forum.
Thanks,

I had an AA-1B with a big engine in it for a few years. Real fun airplane, although it was no RV! Get transition training, manage the speed on final properly, and keep the nosewheel off the ground until the tail quits flying - same advice you'd get for an A-model RV.

mcb

mburch said:
I had an AA-1B with a big engine in it for a few years. Real fun airplane, although it was no RV! Get transition training, manage the speed on final properly, and keep the nosewheel off the ground until the tail quits flying - same advice you'd get for an A-model RV.

mcb

All good advice. The Grummans are about the closest spam can you get which approximate RV flight characteristics. Ailerons are pretty light, castoring nosewheel, sliding canopy and even nosewheel shimmy if you get it wrong with a clapped out one! I might add, they land much nicer with zero or half flap, just like an RV.

I flew the AA1-B this morning and everything went great. The plane flies fine and I have the heavy wing problem fixed. Thanks for the private messages it helped a lot. This is not an RV grin but sort of like one. :D

Thanks