AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the buildtofly tail building class that Van's tucks into their kit literature. It sounds like something I would like to do, but I'd like to hear from you guys first. Seems like a lot to accomplish in 5-6 days??

I had intended to take a weekend building class down in Maryland as a primer to the start of a full-blown build, but the tail class seems like a better approach. If they are honest, you come away with a primed and finished tail kit (or pretty close to it anyway).

Any other classes like this I am overlooking??

Thanks. Andy

Build to Fly - Well worth it

Also know as Alexander Technical Center. Yes, this is a great program and you can find some long write-ups on in these forums. You'll put in long days but at the end of the week you've got all the metal work on the empennage completed and a good set of basic skills. My only regret is that I didn't order my QB kit on the same day that I signed up for the class.

Western PA RV Builders

A friend of mine was building an RV7A, and I went with him to Tom Emery's place (Western PA RV Builders) to build his tail back in March 2006. I can't say enough about Tom and the work we got done in a very short time. We worked approx 10 hours Thurs, 10 hours Fri, and half day Saturday (followed by a big Italian lunch home made by his wife), and we had a completely (minus glass) built tail. I learned better workmanship and a lot of little tricks that helped me breeze through my own tail earlier this year. He has all the tools needed and a ton of experience with sheet metal in general. We were the 50th tail to be completed at his place, and that was 3/2006. I hardly remember him looking at the plans.

Two thumbs up for Western PA RV Builders and Tom Emery.

http://www.wparvbuilders.nstemp.com/

Dave

Thanks guys! PA (even Western PA) is closer than the trip from NJ to Georgia. I may have to look into that too.

I also have to measure my Honda Element to make sure the 100" piece will fit. I can get a 9" surfboard in it but the board is right up to the dashboard.

Do you need any type of sling or stand to support the tail pieces if I try to bring them back in my car?

Fly to Pittsburg. Build the Empennage. Rent a U-haul or such for the trip back. I prefer Penske trucks myself.

It will fit

I also have to measure my Honda Element to make sure the 100" piece will fit. I can get a 9" surfboard in it but the board is right up to the dashboard.

I went to Georgia - don't regret a thing. Find my write-up elsewhere in these forums.

I brought my tail back to Houston in an Explorer with the passenger side front seat removed. Fit perfectly. I had one of those egg crate foam mattress pads that I wrapped the HS in. The rest if the parts were wrapped in blankets and set side by side on the edges. Rode like a charm. I am not fond of the Element's looks, but it makes good use of the enormous space inside.

Yes do measure, but I can't see how you would have any problems getting it home in your Element. That front seat will come out with the removal of just a few bolts.

Another vote for WPA RV Builders

I attended Tom Emery's WPA Builders workshop to build the Van's practice kit. The two days spent up there were most enjoyable. I learned everything I needed to build the tail myself a month later. Tom is a great teacher and his wife is a great host (and great cook!).

My only question is to why not build the tail yourself after you've taken a basic intro class? You will learn a lot more making the mistakes yourself rather than having someone holding your hand and pointing out all the pitfalls along the way. The wings will be much easier to deal with because you have already developed all the skills yourself. I would much rather mess up a small inexpensive part of the empennage rather than a large expensive part on the wing!

Depends on your motives

I agree with Mike about learning a lot by doing the tail yourself. I think it comes down to motive. If you're not in a hurry to build, you might be better serverd to take his "intro" class. You'll have the benefit of learning from Tom, and then you'll have the satisfaction of building your tail 100% on your own. However, if you want your tail done in a weekend while learning from a great teacher, then building the tail at his place might be a better move. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong using Tom in some capacity to bolster your skill set.

BTW, we transported the finished tail in a van. We bought a roll of bubble wrap and some tape to protect it.

I think I looked at Tom's class first. Can't remember how I found it. But then I figured I'd try to find somethign closer and ran across the Maryland class.

I guess I was all ready to go to Maryland because I didn't want to attempt a build without getting some training. Then I saw the tail building class and it sounded great. Instead of just practicing, I could come home with a complete first kit ...the empenage. How could you go wrong!? I guess I figured I would actually be building the tail myself (which I still think you are) but it was comforting to know someone else would be standing over my shoulder and helping me figure it all out. To be honest, I guess I could live with either class (they both seem to have their advantages and disadvantages). Like most people, I guess, I am absolutely intimidated by the project itself, so picking off a part of it in a week seemed comforting.

This is all good info though, so I am easing my way into the project just by talking to you all.

I attended the Alexander Technical course in Georgia to build my -9 tail. It was excellent. A big advantage was that one could try different squeezers, tools etc and this was useful in ordering tools. It gave me a lot of confidence to continue with the project. They shipped my completed tail back to Vans who shipped it to me in the UK along with my QB kit.
Tom,
RV-9, G-CDXT, 70hrs