Me too!

I'm in the Austin (cedar park) area and would also like to peek in on a build and even get my hands dirty.
Thinking hard about getting that -8 started ;)

There are a number of RV projects and flying planes in the Austin area. There are two RV's almost ready to fly at Georgetown airport and probably one at Taylor.

You should contact and get to know one of us EAA Tech Counselors. We can help in many ways and probably keep you from having to do a lot of rework.

The other two TC's are Seth Hancock who lives in Georgetown and Darrell Reiley who hangs out at Taylor. All of us have built at least one RV...

I have an -8 in progress in Avery Ranch, and a flying 9 a couple miles away. Heck, I bet we could even arrange to do a full tour within a mile and see a 10 and -7A in progress too.
To answer the basic question, Yes, there are many RVs in progress in Austin.

Kit log?

Scott, do you have a kit log or a website tracking the build of your -8. I would also love to see it ask questions, and get educated on what i'm getting into.

Come to the EAA Chapter 187 Meeting and meet the gang

There are many an active and recovering RV builders meeting on the second Thursday at the Wells Branch Library--next meeting is tomorrow...see eaa187.org for details.