andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I have the 3500 + the dynon encoder connecting to my Narco 165 transponder. I have yet to get the efis to talk to the transponder and send the altitude info. Anyone with a working setup like this?

I'm a long way from flying, but I have an AFS 3500 connected to a GTX 327 and the 327 started displaying altitude once I went into it's setup mode and changed to the suggested settings. Why aren't you using the AFS encoder?

Been working on wiring for months. I think they're reproducing at night when I turn the lights out in the garage.

Andrew,

Will the Dynon encoder work with anything other than a Dynon EFIS?

Have you called Dynon about this? They should be able to help you as their support is first rate.

This is really a question for AFS. The input to our converter box is a standard altitude message, but not the one the Garmin 327/330 uses. AFS needs to put out the right message, which is in our user guides. You'll need to contact AFS and ask them if they send out altitude in that format.

We technically only support the converter with our products, but we'll help if we can.

How to troubleshoot

My real problem is how to troubleshoot this system! I have the 3500 which seems to work perfectly in all aspects but I don't know for sure that it is sending out the right code. I have the Dynon encoder which I also can't test if it's functioning properly. I have the wiring harness which I made...all my other wiring has been good so far but maybe a mixed up wire...that I can test. And lastly a Narco transponder bought off Ebay. Seller claimed it was working when removed from plane. All panel display functions and switches work but no altitude shown. If I had another transponder that was known to work I could swap them and then know roughly where the problem is. There are just too many variables here!

Andrew,
Call AFS for sure. I really doubt they send out the format that the Dynon converter needs.

Is there an altitude encoder format setting in the AFS unit anywhere?

If AFS confirms they send out the format we need, give us a call and we can walk you through how to test the Dynon converter with an ohmmeter.

Update

For any of you following this thread, the problem isn't solved yet. The service I have been getting from AFS and Dynon is fantastic. AFS has decided to buy a serial to parallel converter from Dynon and do it's own testing. Dynon has provided lots of useful information even though I don't own a Dynon EMS or EFIS. After reading diffferent account of peoples difficulties hooking up their EFIS systems to various components I was sure this would be a tricky process. It could not have gone more smoothly except for this little glitch. I love my 3500 and so do all of the other pilots I have shown it to! I will post back here when the problem is solved in case anyone else has a similar setup.

Of course the easy way out would be the use of a 327 or 330 transponder :D
More money than a used Narco though. :(

Andrew - if you get stuck, give me a call. Haven't worked with the 3500, but have a D100 with Dynon encoder feeding a Garmin GTX320 in my Davis, plus 20+ years as an avionics tech. Like you, based in Carp. You can feel free to contact me off-board by using the address list from our EAA245 chapter, or look me up in the phone book (user name is a dead giveaway, based on my aircraft type and registration... LoL).

Problem Solved

Rob got hold of a dynon converter and adjusted the AFS software to make it compatible to the converter. I now have my parallel style transponder working with the AFS serial output. I can't emphasize how happy I am with the level of customer service I have received. Thanks Rob for making a great EFIS and for supporting it so well and thanks Dynon for making an affordable converter so I can use my older transponder!