pauldan181

Well Known Member
I now have about a dozen full stop landings after having the AS sealed bearing mod and can highly recommend it. Slow speed taxi turning is easier with less braking and RPM. Also when letting the nose down on bumpy runways I'd sometimes get a "chirp, rebound chirp, rebound" action going. That is gone.

Anybody considering the mod and still messing with their axle bolt torque and draggy tapered bearings should check this little video out. My axle bolt is fully torqued:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXXGLR8jbrA

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

I meant to start a thread on this mod. Do you have to send the nose wheel fork in as well?

I have dialup internet access so viewing videos is not ideal. The one from Paul (post #1) certainly suggests that the nose wheel turns much more freely than my nosewheel (stock unit I believe).

The AS wheel mod video shows what looks like one piece combo spacers and an extension that goes inward towards the center of the nosewheel.

Does that piece somehow minimize the chance of some sort of binding that would lock up the current tapered wheel bearing? Yes I see the new, permanently sealed bearing.

I have not read enough info despite a search that really explains it...even though this has apparently been a mod for some period.

I have dialup internet access so viewing videos is not ideal. The one from Paul (post #1) certainly suggests that the nose wheel turns much more freely than my nosewheel (stock unit I believe).

The AS wheel mod video shows what looks like one piece combo spacers and an extension that goes inward towards the center of the nosewheel.

Does that piece somehow minimize the chance of some sort of binding that would lock up the current tapered wheel bearing? Yes I see the new, permanently sealed bearing.

I have not read enough info despite a search that really explains it...even though this has apparently been a mod for some period.

...Have a look at the third video on our video page (link below) and it will clarify it somewhat. Thanks, Allan...:D
........http://antisplataero.com/Videos.html

Wheels for Exchange!!!!

....We have a few wheels that can be exchanged if time is a problem. We charge a core charge and refund it when we receive your old wheel back. Thanks, Allan...:D

The Difference...

Is like Day and Night.

Finally got a chance to go flying today with my new nose wheel bearing mod from Allan at Anti Splat. I really had a bad shimmy that started around 17/18 Kts while taxiing. This, I am happy to report, has completely gone away! :D Upon landing and setting the nose wheel down, for the first time, there was just a very brief shimmy, then the rest of the roll out was SMOOTH. A major difference from the tapered bearing setup. Also as a side note, I had upgraded this wheel with the Matco axle a couple years ago.

I had Allan supply a new tube/tire and perform the balance/truing option as well. All this was done with a quick turn around. If you're on the fence about this mod, I can honestly say that it was worth every penny! :cool:

Just because I have some room here, a few pics of today's return flight from Salida. This is Pike's Peak with a little snow on it now.

dsc7511y.jpg

Another view of Pikes Peak

dsc7517m.jpg

Looking North East from Pikes Peak out over The Front Range

dsc7516o.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
Got mine...

in the mail today, I shipped it out Wednesday afternoon USPS Priority Mail (Large Flat Rate Box $14.65) and here it is Monday... we already have it back. This is a must do Mod. I also had Alan true the tire and balance the assembly. (Aero Classic Tire) these tires are no where close to round when we get them. Thanks Allan!! :)

in the mail today, I shipped it out Wednesday afternoon USPS Priority Mail (Large Flat Rate Box $14.65) and here it is Monday... we already have it back. This is a must do Mod. I also had Alan true the tire and balance the assembly. (Aero Classic Tire) these tires are no where close to round when we get them. Thanks Allan!! :)

You're running an Aero Classic Tire on the front of a 7 ??

OMG...

Installed the tire and wheel assembly yesterday as returned from Anti Splat with the bearing mod along with the trued and balanced tire and wheel. Taxi test, flew and did landings... 100% postive difference, ZERO shake or Shimmy, smooth rolling, easy steering. Absolutely the best mod I've ever done to the plane Hands Down! :) Thanks Alan.

Just wondering if Allen is going to start offering nose wheel tires that has been balanced as part of his process? Once these tires are worn somewhat, they will come out of balance and/or roundness. It will be great if he has a process for just doing the tire.

ANTISPLAT NOSE WHEEL BEARING MOD

Hi Everyone,
I am new to "posting" on VAF but have enjiyed the valuable information throughout the building process of my 6/a ( 85 hours and still have the "grin" ). I just tested my newly-installed nose wheel brearing mod from antiaplat... what a difference it made in ground handling and landing smoothness. Feel much better having the wheel torqued to proper specs. James at antispat a pleasure to deal with ( second purchase - I also have the leg brace ) and I highly recommend their products and company - definately "five star "
Ken
C-FVHV

Welcome to VAF!

Hi Everyone,
I am new to "posting" on VAF -----

Ken
C-FVHV

Ken, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

I am going to move this thread to "Reviews", as it really is a review of Alan's product.

Antisplat wheel mods

I just thought I'd put out my experience with the Vans gear vibration problems to possibly benefit someone else. Started with what I thought was a nose wheel vib problem, did the normal recheck of the breakout torque- in spec. Verified gear leg attachments were tight but still had a vib problem while decelerating slowly on landing. As the airplane slowed, there would be a speed that when passing through things would get interesting.

I tried the antisplat nose wheel bearing upgrade and had the tire/wheel balanced. I was sure this would get the nose wheel problem. When I flew I still had the same vib. After looking at several of the posted videos, I noted a lot of main gear shake in several. Decided to send the main wheels in for balance, and while I was at it the bearings (I hate greasing bearings). Got them back and one wheel had a lot of weight. Ah ha found the problem. Went flying. The vib was still there, but significantly reduced and somewhat different. I lowered my main gear pressures from 35PSI to 25PSI and vib gone. The airplane now rolls smoothly at any speed.

The first main observation is that you can't tell a nose wheel vib from a main wheel vib, at least not easily by feel. That said, maybe I have never felt a nose wheel vib. If I started with a problem again it would be video time.

The second is that I think wheel balance/tire out of round conditions can provide exciting forces to the springs (any of the 3 gear legs) that at a certain speed are resonate frequencies for the gear leg(s).

Changing tire pressure can impact the excitation to the gear leg, and lower, at least in my case was better.

If you have a vib problem, after verification of the breakout torque, I would say verify tire balance/roundness and tire pressure. And if you are like me, hate repacking bearings, get the antisplat conversion for all 3 wheels.

I also wanted this mod done. However, living on the other side of the world meant the COST of sending the complete wheel and the TIME the aircraft
would be on jacks, put me off! Finally e-mailed them and AntiSplat said
they would send me the new hub with mod and I could post mine back
when convenient. Ordered 8th May, posted 9th May and received today (15th May). The best service I could have imagined! Just have to put on the tyre and tube then the local motorbike shop are going to balance it .
Cheers,
Rob Montgomery
RV-7A (98% complete)

Can we throw Desser retreads into the mix?

After reading this thread, I know I want/"need" these wheel mods on my 6A. I was already planning to replace my worn Michelin mains with the Desser monster retreads and hope for an adequate fit inside my pressure recovery wheelpants. Like everyone, I loathe repacking bearings , too.

Would AntiSplat work up a set of three wheels/tires with "the works" done to 'em and let me swap them out and return my cores-- and would I have to drop ship the new tires and tubes to them from Desser, or would Allan be wiling to take care of that in-house?

Feelin' lazy :rolleyes:

-Bill

Give Alan a call. It seems that he would do any of the above. Apparently Desser is just down the road from them so they go and pick up if necessary.

After reading this thread, I know I want/"need" these wheel mods on my 6A. I was already planning to replace my worn Michelin mains with the Desser monster retreads and hope for an adequate fit inside my pressure recovery wheelpants. Like everyone, I loathe repacking bearings , too.

Would AntiSplat work up a set of three wheels/tires with "the works" done to 'em and let me swap them out and return my cores-- and would I have to drop ship the new tires and tubes to them from Desser, or would Allan be wiling to take care of that in-house?

Feelin' lazy :rolleyes:

-Bill

... The tires aren't a problem, but we don't stock the main wheels for exchange. We would require your wheels, complete with brake rotors etc. so we could balance as an assembly. Far to many different wheel and brake combinations for us to work with so an exchange program is sort of out of the question. If you sent us everything, our turn around time is only one day so we won't hold you up there. The advantage to a drop ship is that usually the tires, tubes etc will be here waiting so it goes a little faster for you if time is a concern. Thanks, Allan...