Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well nuts! Just when I figured that I had escaped Rita's impact on my project, I discover that since the Houston FSDO folks bailed out for the storm, the right paperwork didn't get done in time for this Saturday's inspection, and we've had to put it off for a week!

This is going to be worse than the week before Christmas when you're a kid!!

So the airplane is all ready for inspection, with access covers removed. Nothing remains to be done (except for paint, and I kinda doubt that's a one week project.... :rolleyes: ), I've gone and done my tailwheel currency (it was fun flying a cub again!), and now I've got a week to kill...I just HATE launch slips!

Any suggestions?

Paul Dye

Yeah, but you have been there before

You might review the flight test requirements for establishing such things as VX, Vy, clean and dirty stall speeds etc. If you haven't developed a formal flight test plan you could spend some time on that - one customized for you and your airplane that will assure that all of the critical parameters are examined and specific performance values are documented. All of the things to be implemented in the flight test hours after the first survival flight(s) are completed. This will help avoid droning around the designated test box for 23 hours then realizing you don't have hard numbers to enter into you pilot operating handbook and your test documentation (please don't ask how I know).

Bob Axsom

P.S. I went to VAFB 7 times before we got MSTI launched.

Last edited:
Yea, I have a few suggestions;

1) Take care of ALL the things around that house that need fixin' since the plane, OBVIOUSLY, was the priority for the last few years...

2) Ditto for car maintenance.

3) Go to the Movie Theater, see a first-run movie, eat popcorn and relax!

4) Give a hand to one of your local RV builders who, for whatever reason, has been 'stalled' with there project (I've knocked out an emp in a 3-day weekend....pre-punched kits...amazing!)

Congrats on finishing your project, Rosie :D

Paul, congrats on your upcoming first flight!

When you get a rough idea of the first flight let me know if you don't have a chase pilot. I can throw some go go juice in Flash and come down there in about an hour.

Best,

Car Maintenance???

You mean you have to take care of the things? I can't figure out where the cleco pliers fit on my Ford....Oh, wait a minute, I think I remember having a box of tools that don't get used on airplanes! I kinda rememeber having a wife around someplace too.... :confused:

I'll keep you in mind for chase Doug - I have a fair number of qualified chase pilots around here, but unfortutnately, many don't have their own airplanes, and while I know the -8 is going to be fast, the speed mismatch with a T-38 might be a problem.....

Oh well, back to typing up test flight cards... :D

Paul

Hey Paul

I got so bored waiting that I started building a Wag Aero Sport Trainer (a Cub) for my wife. Having never been interested in aviation before we met, a couple of trips to Oshkosh and some flying in the -8 has convinced her that she wants to learn to fly. What perfect excuse to build something else ;-)

Cheers

If you need service?

Call Mel Asberry DAR. He has been more than helpfull to a lot of RVers .
972 784 7544
He has built RVs an ownes one too.

Mel is on the way!

Thanks Jay...but I already had Mel lined up. The problem was with the internal FSDO hook-ups between DFW and HOU - I never try to understand the FAA, it makes my head hurt - but it all got worked out, and I got a call from Mel late yesterday...hope to see him tomorrow! :D

Paul