Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm a little confused as to when I should use anti-sieze vs. teflon paste when attaching fittings to the engine. For example, I'm at the point of installing the aluminum fitting that comes with the Vans manifold pressure install kit in the pressure port of the #3 cylinder. Would I use teflon paste on that fitting, or some sort of anti-sieze compound?

Thanks,
Michael-

I am sure someone with much more exp. than me will charm in soon. As for me, I would use neither, instead use permatex #2.

bird

I generally think of anti-seize as a high temp lube. Ex. nuts, slip joints, etc. That fitting is more low temp (permatex form-a-gasket).

NPT tapered thread, use pipe dope of your choice.
Straight threads into the case (spark plugs) use anti-seize.

Plus one on the Permatex #2 for any liquid retaining NPT fittting!

The stuff is DESIGNED to seal threads and the like. It stays pliable and cleans up with Coleman fluid.

The Anti-Seize compound is quite different. It IS NOT designed to seal and contains zinc to ward of (or actually become a sacrificial anode) corrosion and keep parts from welding themselves together via the corrosion battery.

Places for Anti-Seize are CHT sensors, spark plugs and the like.

Does this help?

;) CJ

Another fan of the Permatex brown goo (#2 or #3) for thread sealant on these fittings. It gets the job done perfectly.