mcencula

Well Known Member
When I saw this video, I immediately thought, "I need a can of that for my wings and canopy!" Wonder when they'll bring the product to market?

While ice isn't as much an issue for me, but I like the idea of nothing sticking to the airplane. Means less cleaning and more flying! :)

What about paint?

Nothing sticking to the airplane sounds great, although you probably would like paint to stick when you need to repair a ding.

I did not look extensively through the site but I did not see anything indicating whether this is a temporary fix (like RainX for water that needs refreshed every so often) or if it is a somewhat more permanent coating (more like paint).

greg

a note on the site says spray cans available mid 2012. I'd assume if it is sprayed on from a rattle can it probably needs to be redone periodically. Just a guess.

Should last a while...

I saw one of their videos that showed a plate that had been coated and dropped into a tub of seawater for over one year. It still retained it's water repellant characteristics. I would say that shows significant durability. Perhaps this compound could be used on top of paint, or incorporated into the paint on our planes to prevent corrosion, ice, dirt, etc. Sounds like a miracle product. Let's hope they come to market soon. I'd love some de-ice, de-dirt protection on my finished airplane!

I just can't imagine how [nicely] this may open up the door/sky for winter flying when/where ice is the main concern.

I can not wait.

I just can't imagine how [nicely] this may open up the door/sky for winter flying when/where ice is the main concern.

I can not wait.

It would give some piece of mind but probably wouldn't get you past the regs for required equipment..dunno.

I'd want to know how to get the stuff off before I go anywhere near my plane with it for painting touch up and such.

What is it?

I downloaded the white paper and I can tell you, it tells you nothing other than it is a nanotechnology surface.

So a little research and I found the answer. Asperits.
(Or simply, little grains on the surface that make the water rest on more air than they do the material)

How does that work? Well notice that when water contacts a material it sucks on it and when it is exposed to air its water tension is really high. Hence a droplet of water on top is round and it is stuck to the material it is sitting on.

So with some assumptions added, it is a solution or suspension of very small little beads of alkylketene dimer (AKD) solidified into a nanostructured fractal surface.

If your asking how is that going onto paint, well probabaly a little opaque, so it will look like there is a film over it and yes Ken it would be a bugger to get off.

I am wondering how you would get it off. Sanding would work, a physical method, but chemically is going to be not easy. I have a feeling that alcohol or acetone will probably get it off but its not going to be great for the paint beneath,

I am with Ken, wait till they tell you how to get it off and then test it out. This is going to be tough to deal with. Solvents will not do much to it.

Other than that, anyone thinking that it will stop icing is probably right on the money. This makes Teflon look as sticky as bubble gum. I am DEFINITELY going to be wanting it on my leading edges if it checks out.

I don't care what it looks like, if it keeps ice off, I will have it on my airplanes.... I has to look better than a wrinkled black rubber boot.....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal
F-1 EVO